Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a nice sized bundle of Water sprite

let me know if you have any for sale.
Must be able to ship it to central illinois, if your near by i will come get it.

Thanks

·
fenix
61 Posts
Too bad I didn't see this sooner- I actually threw out a bunch last week, and it had plants in it that were 2 feet long! To get this length, weigh roots down and use a high tank (20H, 30, etc.)
If you can wait a month or so I'll be glad to send you some free, but you'll have to pay for the shipping costs.. recommend a styrofoam fish shipping box.
write : [email protected]
BTW, try wisteria- not as tender, but seems to grow a lot slower-

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
I got mine at Petsmart I believe and they are doing really good. I think it came with 4-5 plants in the little pot thingy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only problem with buying from petsmart is that there is a large chance im going to be buying a whole bunch of pond snail eggs along with my plants.
Dont want those buggers.

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
Never gotten any with the plants I've picked up from them. You could get a puffer. He would take care of any pesky snails that come with the plants. :)

·
fenix
61 Posts
If you get the plants that are prepackaged in plastic sheeting with a bunch of that medium that looks like shattered glass- cost about 6 bucks each, but as said, there's a bundle- you'll get no (new) snails in your tank--
Puffers may clean up snails, but they're alleged to be fin-nippers- however most of the Anabantids (gouramis/bettas/etc.- SP anabantids?) - have been observed to attack and devour snails in my tanks- matter o' fact, I have a betta who's killed off every snail I've put in his little acrylic tank so far- dozens- there's plusse/minuses to all these
Another snail-eater is a botia-yet another a clown loach- "Metynnis" varieties (Silver Dollar family) tear them up! You can hear them chewing up the snails, right through the water and glass--
In my tanks, snails seem to lay [long-term- developing before hatching] eggs sometimes- I completely tore down and disinfected/scrubbed a 55, changed the substrate to (dry) gravel bought new, and six months later, one of those tiny snails w/ a conical shell and one large pond-type snail (only with an almost white shell, and bigger than most-but not an apple snail) showed up- - They're almost impossible to totally eradicate unless you disinfect everything including the tank, before you put water in - or use fake plants, and I won't have them--

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
That sounds like the bundle of plants I got from them.

So far my puffer hasn't nipped fins and get along great with the others. He gets right in with them at feeding time if I drop in a frozen "gum drop" of bloodworms or brine shrimp and will actualyl pull it away from the bigger fish. lol

·
fenix
61 Posts
You must feed them well...
CC& P'd from the first search engine article I came to (gmail search):
"Puffers have a unique and comical way of swimming. Puffers often nip at the fins of other Puffer and other species of fish. This nipping can be minimized by keeping puffers very well fed. Freshwater Dwarf Puffers do less nipping than many other types of of Puffer Fish."

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I got some in a couple weeks, NE illinois. Very bright, Very strong, Very thick . I am moving them to a much taller tank for verticle growth, they are bushy right now in a short tank.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Just noticed this thread. If you're still looking, I just pulled (10/26) several plants out from small to one very nice sized one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would be interested in some as well. I live in a small town in WA and have very limited access to much variety. I would be willing to trade some red ludwigia that I just trimmed or pay for shipping. What ever works best for the other person.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts