Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a worlds first in my fish tank

Dual AC70 HOB UGF system.

I know folks are iffy on UGF plates but they truly do work and work well when using a canister that doesnt have bio filtration. Ive had it up and running for about a week now more like 4 days but I am really suprised in the clarity of the water, the smell of the water and the fish activity that was sporatic before.

I harbor about a colony of 10000+ MTS in this tank and a dozen kuhlis that forage around in the substrate and do a fine job of keeping it clean(gravel vac always drew very little from the gravel when UGF plate was inactive.)

My anubias have actually given off the first new leaves in a while and my corydoras and kuhlis are spawning like crazy.

I was jsut glad that the ac70 uplift tubes are the same diameter of the 1" thinwall UGF uplift tubes, a little GE-1 and its done. I am not sure if anyone else has ever tried this but I figure UGF's were all the rage before these things came out why not use them together for a giant filter.

Old technology isnt always bad technology.

·
Registered
943 Posts
UGF's are excellent filters for what they do but its the maintenance involved with them that can be a pain IMO. I always ran mine with small PH's and even after 6-7 years when I took the tank down there wasnt a bad build up under it and never had any water issues.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love this thing, had it as a RUGF which kicked some tail in the cleanliness dept as far as substrate debris build up. Now that its converted back to a UGF but now being filtered thru the AC70's gives me a whole new world. I even got a magnum 350 on this tank.

I found a stash of old plates we used to use in the 80's and 90's sparkling clean, now just to convince the wife that if she wants them out of the way she is going to have to let me get tanks to put them in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts