Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than using one, are there any other options to prevent fry from being sucked up in a HOB filtration system.
One that would not restrict the water flow any more than the OM part.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
A sponge?

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
j/k

How about fishnet?

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
The bad thing about a nylon legging is that they will wear out alot

·
Cornelius
95 Posts
The lack of a buffer zone with fishnets actually makes them pretty useless in my eyes. I lost a pretty expensive marine fish using the nylon trick.

As for the sponge thing, will any porous sponge work, or do they sell something special? I have always been afraid of burning out the motor.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
The lack of a buffer zone with fishnets actually makes them pretty useless in my eyes.
Fishnets on the proper woman are very good in my eyes.
I lost a pretty expensive marine fish using the nylon trick.
ouch!!!!
As for the sponge thing, will any porous sponge work, or do they sell something special? I have always been afraid of burning out the motor.
Use various pump intake sponges for like mag series pumps and larger ones my overflow. I think the larger ones are for pond filters. or overflow filters.

Most hardware/department store sponges are not porus enough.

I do have to rinse out the sponges all the time. But even with that the motor does seem to work well even if making some noise.

my .02

·
Registered
271 Posts
you can buy a foam prefilter to fit over the intake. and theyre made for aquarium use, so you dont need to worry about it wearing out.

heres two of mine

or you can use Lees Filter Saver Bag

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get one of those aquaclear sponge inserts. Get it wet and freeze it. Then you can use a drill to make a hole the same size as your filter inlet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure glad I asked cause I was going to cut one to fit INSIDE the intake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about just wrapping a thin single layer of sponge like the ones tied to the bottom of a bunch of anacharis?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I kinda like the freezing of the sponge idea. May just have to try that one next time.

I just take a regular ole steak knife and cut a slit the width of the intake in the sponge almost to the very bottom. Slides right on the intake tube.

That's your best option for fry.

Not to discount the use of nylons, they can be used as well. But, with them, they don't help restrict the flow which can still cause fry to become lodged up against it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi James,

Just to clarify, are you saying that the goal is to restrict water flow so fry don't get stuck? And that using nylons does not do that?

Question, does the sponge restirct the water flow when drilled of slit?

·
Registered
67 Posts
freeze the sponge.hmmm, soo many different/good ideas when you ask on a forum like this. Great ideas from all of you. Thats exactly why i browse forums like this, i have 5 tanks set up and can always use any time/money saving ideas. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hi James,

Just to clarify, are you saying that the goal is to restrict water flow so fry don't get stuck? And that using nylons does not do that?

Question, does the sponge restirct the water flow when drilled of slit?
In a manner a speaking....yes. The fry are too small and not strong enough to pull free of the current.

Now...with the nylons, they will prevent the little ones from getting sucked into the filter, but they won't slow the current which could cause them to get stuck.

With the sponges, they will help reduce the suction from the pump and provide a safer ground for them. It will also add to the BB.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts