Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our tank was finally starting to do well, the BTA's were beautiful, and growing, our pulsing xenia's, zoanthids and feather duster were all looking good. We were having a small problem with our snails dying, but other than that everything was good. Our LFS suggestd we start using iodide for the corals. So we did. Afterwards we started noticing everything was sucking in and staying that way 95% of the time. we checked our water levels everything was fine. took a sample to the store, also fine. Our guy suggested that maybe because our tank is just getting started and we have very few corals, that my husband may have been adding too much iodide by using the listed directions, and to do a water change and cut back on the iodide. So we did. We saw very little change. Then the feather duster died. Now i woke this morning to what appears to be one of our BTA's about to die, if not already dead. We have continued to lose our snails and crabs too.

We have done water changes, new filters, and our levels are consitantly near perfect. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be, or any ways to fix it?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sorry to hear about all this. Just so you know in the future, always test the levels of certain compounds before adding them to your tank. Purchase a high quality test kit (e.g. Seachem) to see what your levels of iodide are before you add it to a tank, you might not need it at all and iodide can be detrimental to your invertebrates' health if present in too high a level. So, I'd stop using iodide for now and do plenty of water changes.

Have you added activated carbon to you filters? If your anemone is dying, it will release nasty compounds that can be toxic to corals and other inverts, so you'll want carbon.

Also, please post your current water quality parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, etc) so we can get a better picture of what's going on in your tank. And how big is your tank and what kind of water do you use? How old is your setup? How big of a water change did your husband do (you'll need to do pretty big ones)?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its very likely that you OD'ed the tank on Iodine. This one of those additives where there is a very fine line between whats acceptable and whats a gross over dose. If you are doing water changes with one of the standard Brands of Salt there should be no need to add additional Iodine.

At this point, if you did OD the tank, there is little that can be done. Additional SW changes will not likely lower the levels signifacantly anytime soon, since the SW mix also contains Iodine.

If you just must add iodine use a test kit to first measure the levels in your tanks to determine how much if any you need to add. Then add it in very small amounts once or twice a week until you get levels where you want them. This is very much the prefered way!

There are also some corals that will give you a good indication of when the Iodnine levels in the tank are getting to high but I wont discuss how that one works here, as I dont need the grief that would likely go with it. But you can find that info out on line if you do some research.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts