Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive put a few nice pieces of ocean rock in my Nano tank, had them left over from my old malawi tank, Was just wondering if it will turn live?? Already it full of bristle stars and a few feather dusters growing on it......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 20g... Ive got plenty of LR in there also, Thought it would be a good idea not to let the ocean rock go to waste!! How long do you think it will take to turn live

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be careful of introducing wild things into your home aquaria too... They can bring in pollution, disease, or things you don't want in your tank.

·
Registered
943 Posts
He said the rock came from his old cichlid tank so no worries about introducing anything alive, my only concern is did you ever treat your cichlid tank with any copper meds??

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just wanted to clairify just incase someone else comes along and reads "However, seeding the tank with a piece of rock that's from the ocean will help get things colonizing it quicker and seed the tank with many organisms you wouldn't get otherwise", knows to be cautious and either not introduce things directly from the ocean or quarantine them for longer periods of time...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I never used any meds in my Malawi tank!! Never had any probs with them at all!! Plus the rock sat in my garage for about a year in a sealed bucket!! So does anyone know what sort of time scale the ocean rock would take to become live??

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well for the most part live means cycled and covered in beneficial bacteria usually with in 6 weeks in an established tank and it should be loaded with good bacteria. Looks like it might already be close because you say it has brittle stars and is getting covered with feather dusters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts