Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently caught some wild mollies in a small canal by my house, seven green with one having Dalmation markings. I put them in a 38 gallon tank with some store bought mollies ,swordtails, and a few tetras already in the tank and found the small wild mollies chasing the established fish and nipping the other fish kind of like a tiger barbs do. Is this normal and are my established fish in danger?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
First off,you should always QT any fish you bring home new. That is even more important when you are catching wild caught fish. You have no ideal what parasites and other things that my have. You should treat them as if they are sick and treat them with meds.....I like to hold mine for a month but I know some that it a 3 month process. As far as the mollies be aggressive, not sure why but I would try removing all the fish and rearranging the thing so no territories, than add the fish back.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Mollies

I went to pet world at the tower shops and saw sailfin mollies called Guppy tail Mollies (not sphenops). they were identical to lyretails except that their tails were regular shaped but about half the length of the fish's body. has anyone ever heard of them before? I couldn't find any pics on google of them....I wonder how they would look if crossed with a lyretail.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
i have a pair from pet world since that is my LFS, but havent had any luck with them. I know my lyretail male has been interested in the guppytail female. I will keep a close eye on the situation and let you know if anything happens.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
any news on the molly pair (guppytail/lyretail)? my black mollies had only about 6-8 babies, but they were big. born in the 20 gal. outside aquarium. does anyone have any suggestions on why this happened? maybe she's still young.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts