Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my filter went down this morning and i couldnt fix it within the time i had to spend with it... i put my back up filter in and i came home and my angels fins are all beat up and some are missing... He got to close...

I fixed my filter and put it back...

Any remedies to help cure the angel? I dont want it to die... im growing it for my friend.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Is your backup filter an Evenrude ??? Just kidding, Id try some stress coat , maybe a little aquarium salt and hope for the best.

G

·
Yes, add 1 tbsp per 5 gallons, this gives the fish a nice slime coat, and helps them heal. It should only be used a temporary tonic, however, since long term exposure to salt in freshwater fish can prove harmful. Make sure it is specifically aquarium salt, and not just 'table salt'. Most table salts are okay, but some can be harmful. (Despite common belief, it is actually a preservative used in some table salts that is harmful, not Iodine or "anti-caking agents")

It's also advisable to turn you tank temperature up a few degrees. If you do this be sure to add an extra air stone, since oxygen is more depleted in heated tanks.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
i agree with what has been said previously
i would add the salt and raise the temperature in the tank
from my understanding
when you add the salt you actually stress the fish's system to the point where its is forced to make a thicker slime coat, intern making the fish more protective towards diseases and heal faster

the salt and the heat is also a very effective way to fight parasites which your fish is very vulnerable to at the moment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts