Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a question...just a thought...

I am obssessed with getting different balloon mollies, and breeding them to get a lot of neat variations. Last weekend, I bought a ripe balloon mollie, that was in the shape of a ball.

As the week has progressed, I have been feeding her to prep the fry for their birth. It has been a week since I bought her, and she is starting to sag, litterally. Her belly is so big that she is turning egg shaped. She can hardly swim. I have her in a breeding cage to prevent her from hurting herself.

She just needs to pop, but she just won't. I want to let her out, but I know its for her own good.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
i'm not the molly expert but i think that might mean your female is gravid(filled with young).

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really, a pea would work?

It doesn't really matter, because I have good news. She dropped Friday night.

About 35 fry in all. Hopefully the will make it!

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
are the fry by themselves? platies are about the least likely to eat their own babies, but other fish will eat them.......

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
well, that's what ive read and that my platies don't eat their babies, the other fish do.

what about mollies?

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I believe platies are probably the least aggressive livebearer, swords being the most.

Mollie fry are HUGE when they are born. Once, one dropped in my tank, and my dad wondered where I got all the new fish. They were that big already! I think that they might make it. I just don't want to take the risk.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
swordtails are NOT the most aggressive livebearer, mosqitofish are. they seem to kill anything that isn't a cichlid, mosqitofish, wild molly (they look similar to a mosqitofish) or anything big enough to eat them! very cannibalistic!

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow nasty little craps. I've never had them but I've had the four common livebearers. The sword is the most aggressive that I had.

I'm grateful I never had those fish!

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
good for feeders though. surprisingly, one of my mayans would not eat them! he would suck them in, then spit them out - dead. the little mayan would then eat it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Congrats!!! I have a really nicely shaped pair of Balloon Mollies - The female is unbelievably round and gorgeous and when she is gravid, omigod, she looks like a baseball with eyes!! She drops fry like clockwork every eight weeks - her tiny male companion is completely orange - we love them, they are so whimsical and hilarious!! For awhile they were in a tank of their own with a few small cardinal tetras, but I've recently added them pair to a 60 gal community tank. As far as I can tell neither the male or female ate a single one of their fry when they were in the tank along with them. Cool fish, great parents. Good luck with all your new little ones - would love to see pics!!

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good for feeders though. surprisingly, one of my mayans would not eat them! he would suck them in, then spit them out - dead. the little mayan would then eat it!
Mayans? what are they?

Congrats!!! I have a really nicely shaped pair of Balloon Mollies - The female is unbelievably round and gorgeous and when she is gravid, omigod, she looks like a baseball with eyes!! She drops fry like clockwork every eight weeks - her tiny male companion is completely orange - we love them, they are so whimsical and hilarious!! For awhile they were in a tank of their own with a few small cardinal tetras, but I've recently added them pair to a 60 gal community tank. As far as I can tell neither the male or female ate a single one of their fry when they were in the tank along with them. Cool fish, great parents. Good luck with all your new little ones - would love to see pics!!
I simply buy mine pregnant from the stare, this gives the fry a little more diversity. The only problem is that you can't regulate what they breed with then. Good luck with yours. I had older fry, about two months old. They were from a different batch. The female that had them was huge, but only dropped four live for some freson, of those, two died. Two remained and I just saw today that the larger of the tow is a male! I am so excited.

Is your male a sailfin? That is my goal when I get mine. They look so much cooler when they do. I have one that doesn't have a hifin and it disappoints me. He is a marble which is so cool, I just wish he had a hifin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts