Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my lighting. (currently have a stock hood with 50/50 bulbs) I would like to know what is better T5s, T6s, or compact flourecents.
Would love halides but out of my bugett.
Thanks for info and opinions.
Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
T5s are amazing. The secret to the success of T5s is in the reflector. You need to get a fixture with a quality reflector that wraps around each bulb in a "gull wing" bent pattern. This allows each bulb to be individually reflected. There's a lot of cheap T5 fixtures on the market that have inappropriate reflectors. Make sure to research and get the right one.

T5HO with proper reflectors are every bit as good as 250W MH lighting. In fact, down to about 22", the T5s put out more PAR.

T6 are NOT HO, they're normal output, not good at all. PCs are okay, depending on what you want to keep in your tank.

I have a 75 with a 6 bulb Tek5, T5ho, fixture. I keep mainly SPS and clams. Everything's growing like crazy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can give you a web site that has MH fixtures cheap, only thing is that the units are Odyssea and some ppl shy away from them. I've had my Odyssea light fixture for 2 yrs now and I love it. I will be honest when I tell you that, I had to replace the internal cooling fans and I just replaced the MH ballast after 2 yrs. I'll give you a break down on the costs. Light fixture was $329(W/shipping) 48" 2-250w MH 2-96w Actinics 6 lunar lights and 5 cords.
The ballasts where $129 ea, so thats a total of $587. If I where to buy a known name brand with the same features, we're talking about $1100. I'm still ahead of the game. There is two places that sell them, one is Aquatraders - Aquarium Lighting and Supplies at Unbeatable Prices and eBay My World - hombby

Good luck with your choice. Luna

1 - 5 of 5 Posts