Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering which of the whisper filters is the best for any tank in general. I always see people saying they have a whisper filter but are never too specific. I mean theres the Whisper EX filtration system, Whisper power filter, Whisper advanced power filter, Whisper internal power filter, and Whisper in-Tank filters. Any replies would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
271 Posts
dont bother with whisper or marineland. if you can get your hands on an AquaClear HOB, that will be the best thing you can get.

·
Registered
271 Posts
then you must have done something wrong, because i know people who have ac500 (now ac110) running for 15-20 years

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
dont bother with whisper or marineland. if you can get your hands on an AquaClear HOB, that will be the best thing you can get.
i run nothing but AquaClear HOB filters on my tanks. i have the 110 on my 55gal and use the whisper that came with the tank as a HOB power head i dont even put filters in the Whisper now

·
Registered
271 Posts
i had an old whisper that i converted into a HOB c02 diffuser, but only because it was free. otherwise i wouldnt have had it at all. lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have2 whisper 60's. They were both free and cracked when i got them. I caulked both and they run perfect. One is due for a new impeller i think though. Bottom line, you get what you pay for, whispers are cheap filters that do a decent job, but I really like my Marineland penguin bio wheel and my aquaclear a whole lot better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i run nothing but AquaClear HOB filters on my tanks. i have the 110 on my 55gal and use the whisper that came with the tank as a HOB power head i dont even put filters in the Whisper now
how does that work as a powerhead, they arent very powerful, at least i didnt think they were strong enough for a decent current.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
whispers is also a good name for the product:it makes no noise at all! aquaclears are loud but have more media. if the tanks not in the bedroom, u can go aquaclear. A for original Q: HOB

·
Registered
76 Posts
whispers is also a good name for the product:it makes no noise at all! aquaclears are loud but have more media. if the tanks not in the bedroom, u can go aquaclear. A for original Q: HOB
I have two AquaClear filters running on a 20G and a 29G. Neither makes noise at all when the tanks are full. I ran the 29G about an inch below the normal tank level when I first began cycling it and it sounded like a waterfall in the living room. But, after filling the tank to just below the bottom of the black edging/rim, there is no noise. So, any noise experienced from an AquaClear HOB is most likely from the water level being quite a bit lower than the outlet. :)

At least, that's been my experience with AC HOB filters.

·
Registered
271 Posts
aquaclears are loud

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

thats hilarious.

i have MANY aquaclear HOB filters, and they are all pretty silent, and one is over 8 years old. the impeller housing is silent, and the hum of the intake is relatively low considering the amount of water being moved (500GPH in an AC110). the only time you hear anything is when your water level drops and you hear the water falling from the slide into the tank. but if you maintain your tank properly, this should not be a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your opinions guys. I guess I'll start researching a new aqua clear or marineland filter. If the only thing the whisper is really good for is its quietness, then I'll go with the more powerful filter, even if the tank is in my bedroom (I am a heavy sleeper, one time I was sleeping and someone slapped me in the face... didn't wake up, untill their loud laughter woke me).

So yeah, if anybody has a recomendation for a aquaclear or marineland that can support a 29 gallon tank as well as a decent current, it would make life a lot easier.

·
Registered
271 Posts
An AC50 would be enough for a 29g. I personally "overfilter" the hell out of all of my tanks, (not that there is such a thing. Lol), so I use AC70's on 29-30g tanks, and AC110's on 40g and up.

Definitely go with aquaclear. Marineland is just a waste of money.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ALL impeller filters will get destroyed if you kick sand up in them. Sounds like user error to me. Sand should NEVER get in your filter.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
how does that work as a powerhead, they arent very powerful, at least i didnt think they were strong enough for a decent current.
It works really good for my application, i was just trying to avoid any non moving surface water and get more circulation and it did just that. but i just go a new AcuaClear 50 PH so i dont know if i will be keeping it

however it does serve as a great place to put my bags of ammonia remover

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Thanks for your opinions guys. I guess I'll start researching a new aqua clear or marineland filter. If the only thing the whisper is really good for is its quietness, then I'll go with the more powerful filter, even if the tank is in my bedroom (I am a heavy sleeper, one time I was sleeping and someone slapped me in the face... didn't wake up, untill their loud laughter woke me).

So yeah, if anybody has a recomendation for a aquaclear or marineland that can support a 29 gallon tank as well as a decent current, it would make life a lot easier.
i run a AcuaClear 30 and a 50 on my 29 gal SW and two AcuaClear 30 PH's and sometimes a 50 on top of that but the filters alone do a great job

·
Registered
271 Posts
as long as you keep the tank clean, and you have sufficient bio-filtration, the ammonia levels will be fine. and the AC HOB filters, have lots of rooms for media, so depending how you have it set up, it should have more then enough surface area for beneficial bacteria.

·
Registered
271 Posts
bahahhahahah. another self proclaimed filter guru.
HOB filter + sand + not knowing what youre doing = user error. dont fool yourself.

guess whay pal, the aquaclear (AC, not AQ) pushes more water then its whisper or marineland counterpart. with the added GPH rating, you will initially kick up more sand then you would with a wimpy whisper filter. and if you werent smart enough to use a short enough intake, or a foam pre filter with a fine sand substrate, its DEFINITELY a user error. the only reason the tetra doesnt kick up as much sand is because its a weak piece of garbage. it has nothing to do with the equipment itself, and everything to do with the clown using it. maybe next time you should do a little reading before setting up a filter.

again. i know people who have had the same aquaclear hob running for 20 years+. just because you dont know how to keep one running, does not make the whisper more reliable. you will NEVER see a whisper or marineland HOB running anywhere close to that long.

maybe its better you stick to the cheap crappy whiper filters. apparently you dont have the common sense to operate a more involved piece of equipment.

·
Registered
271 Posts
BAHAHAHAHHHAHA.

now youre trying to justify water parameterts with a filter that holds zero bio-media?

hahahha. case closed. i really dont need to say any more. you obviously know nothing about filtration, and more importantly, are not willing to learn at this point, so its pointless to attempt to educate you. maybe after youre done with your first fish tank, and youre ready to be educated, drop me a line, ill be happy to explain functionality to you.

5 weeks?
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

hilarious

1 - 20 of 30 Posts