Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up a RO/DI system yesterday, and the water is pretty much just dripping out. It was working fine, but it was leaking b/c I forgot to put the O-Ring in, then when I put it in, it slowed down. I put the O-Ring in the membrane part. Do you think this some how caused this?
Should I get a booster pump. I can only afford around $100.
I have a RO/DI 4 stage 50gpd unit. The link it below.
Please reply.

Aquarium Water Quality: Pure-Flo II RO Units

·
Registered
234 Posts
What is your water pressure now? Did you check the waste line and calculate your waste ratio to ensure you are not exceeding the recommended 4:1 waste ratio? This is often the case and the extra water going down the drain reduces the pressure available to the RO membrane slowing its production.

Do you have an inline pressure gauge? I don't believe the Coralife units come with one but you can pick up a 0-100 psi gauge, a 1/4" John Guest by thread tee and adapter to adapt the gauge to 1/4" hose thread for about $15 at the hardware store or find one an many online RO/DI vendors. You really need one to troubleshoot your system.

Take a measuring cup and a clock or watch and time a cup from the waste line, then do the same with the treated line and compare the times for the same volume of water. Is the waste about 4 times faster than the good or is it signifciantly faster?

Best case, 50 GPD is only going to be about 4 ounces per minute so you may not have a problem at all. Both water pressure and water temperature have an effect on final GPD, pressure is easy to fix with the booster pump if necessary, temperature should not be messed with since it is easy to melt a membrane with warm or hot water.

If a booster is needed they have them on sale here, the $89 version would work for your RO system.SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

1 - 2 of 2 Posts