Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
compatibility between convicts and dempsets. does it matter about the sex or will the dempsey or any cichlid already established in the tank give a few fish a hard time?

·
Registered
324 Posts
from what Ive seen, convicts will hold up against just about any other fish that can't swollow them whole. I would probably prefer the jack to be larger, but i dont think youll have problems untill someone starts breeding.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats where my problem is...my Jacks are doing their dances and the female goes into the pot but nothing else... I am also noticing they dont like people watching them. If there are out in the open they go and hide... under the heater inside the pots behind the intake for the filters...what can i do. They have some nice colors and the wife can only take my word on it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
keep the room lights off with the aquarium light on in the evening. that should cut down on them being able to see you. another trick i use is to set up a chair or stool in a good spot about three feet from the tank and sit still... they eventualy forget I'm there

·
Registered
139 Posts
so instead of bass pro its aquarium watching. you guys tickle me. lol!

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
my africans get so excited when I approach, they almost leap out!! if I sit on one of the two recliners (updated photo coming soon) and wait, they soon give up and act normally. I say that if you spend enough time around the tank (like feeding them), they'll eventually regard you as a food source. It's been proven by my fish! otherwise, you can add a few new fish that won't be afraid (maybe lik a small/med. oscar) of you and the jacks will learn from it/them. in other words, try some dither fish!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right now my 9 inch male only cares about one thing... her female... wherever she goes he is right after her. Also the convict is a female so the female dempsey nips at her all the time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nah. I dont want to make it too crazy on here... oh yeah i have a buy 2 get one free coupon for Pet world at the tower shops for this weekend. need a copy?

·
Registered
119 Posts
i recieved a tank for free in my freshwater days..the only draw back was i had to take the fish that was in the tank..i had never seen the tank..it was in the newspaper..so i get over there and oh my lands!!!!! 40 convicts in a 29 gallon tank..so i go home setup up a 55 with water from my 180 to distribute these guys in until i can get rid of them..lol i started giving them away and gave one to a buddy of mine who had a 5" oscar..with in 30 minutes that convict took down that oscar..my buddy was not happy..convicts are not afraid of anything..i would say when that convict matures your other fish are in trouble..i will never own another one again..

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts