Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Hey welcome to the site! Let's see some pics of those reef tanks!

And freshwater is not boring... as long as you don't have boring fish :D

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Well Stevie, I dont know who invited you, but im glad they did :) always nice to have new members, and maybe we can learn a few things, from you. Welcome and hope you decide to make this your new favorite place to hang.

·
inTank
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Stevie, I dont know who invited you, but im glad they did :) always nice to have new members, and maybe we can learn a few things, from you. Welcome and hope you decide to make this your new favorite place to hang.

Hello. Yeah I was shot an email from my website and decided to check it out. I still have a lot to learn so I think it is the other way around.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
What gorgeous pictures and we are so glad you joined us! Thank you for coming no matter how you got here.

Rose
:betta:

Reactions: JIM and Joey

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I would just like to inform u that your tank is way too small for a mandarinfish. mandarinfish need no smaller than a 90gallons w/ refugium(even larger without a refugium).
besides the cardinalfish, the clown, and the mandarin, is there anything else in your tank?

Reactions: Joey

·
inTank
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Welcome to the site!

I would just like to inform u that your tank is way too small for a mandarinfish. mandarinfish need no smaller than a 90gallons w/ refugium(even larger without a refugium).
besides the cardinalfish, the clown, and the mandarin, is there anything else in your tank?
You can keep a mandarin in any size tank you just need to train it to eat frozen food. I have had the mandarin for 8 months now and it eats rods food every other day. You are correct about the tank size but that is only because they eat pods naturally. A large tank has a better chance of providing enough natural pods for the dragonet to eat. Yet with some knowledge you can train them and not worry about the tank size. A mandarin is not for the beginner and I waited for over a year for this tank to mature before purchase.

Current:
Darwin clown
Bangaii cardinal
Mandarin
Coral Beauty

This tank was born August 2007 with some livestock coming from my 12 gallon when I upgraded.

Vids before I moved the tank which was April of 2009. Pics above are after the move in my new office.

YouTube - Mandarin Dragonette Eating Frozen Food

YouTube - StevieT's Red Sea Max, Jan. 2009 (underwater video)

YouTube - Timelapse Mandarin eating frozen

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You can keep a mandarin in any size tank you just need to train it to eat frozen food. I have had the mandarin for 8 months now and it eats rods food every other day. You are correct about the tank size but that is only because they eat pods naturally. A large tank has a better chance of providing enough natural pods for the dragonet to eat. Yet with some knowledge you can train them and not worry about the tank size. A mandarin is not for the beginner and I waited for over a year for this tank to mature before purchase.

Current:
Darwin clown
Bangaii cardinal
Mandarin
Coral Beauty

This tank was born August 2007 with some livestock coming from my 12 gallon when I upgraded.

Vids before I moved the tank which was April of 2009. Pics above are after the move in my new office.

YouTube - Mandarin Dragonette Eating Frozen Food

YouTube - StevieT's Red Sea Max, Jan. 2009 (underwater video)

YouTube - Timelapse Mandarin eating frozen

ok, i guess the mandarinfish-good thinkin about a late purchase. now my worries switch the coral beauty-again, the tank is too small. coral beauties should be in nothing below a standard 55 gallon(u may be able to get away with 40gallons, but only if its with other aggressive fish. )

·
inTank
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, i guess the mandarinfish-good thinkin about a late purchase. now my worries switch the coral beauty-again, the tank is too small. coral beauties should be in nothing below a standard 55 gallon(u may be able to get away with 40gallons, but only if its with other aggressive fish. )
I don't expect my mandarin to eat one pod. I am sure he has daily pickings but it can't be it's main diet.

Coral beauty can do about 30 gallons. Probably would be more suited in a larger tank say 55 but it has been in this aquarium since October 2007. Never seen it nip one coral and my clown is much more aggressive than it. Actually it is timid now that I think of it, the mandarin is more aggressive towards food. I probably wouldn't get one again unless I had a larger tank but they are pretty shy and spend some of the day hiding.

StevieT's Red Sea Max Experience - Nano-Reef.com Forums

my tank thread if you were interested. 200,000+ views

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I don't expect my mandarin to eat one pod. I am sure he has daily pickings but it can't be it's main diet.

Coral beauty can do about 30 gallons. Probably would be more suited in a larger tank say 55 but it has been in this aquarium since October 2007. Never seen it nip one coral and my clown is much more aggressive than it. Actually it is timid now that I think of it, the mandarin is more aggressive towards food. I probably wouldn't get one again unless I had a larger tank but they are pretty shy and spend some of the day hiding.
ok well its odd for me to here a mandarinfish that doesn't have pods as its natural diet. 1 of the hardest things to do in a reef aquarium is train a mandarin to eat non-pod related foods. u should consider your self very lucky.

the experts that i learn from wouldn't put any dwarf angel in a tank smaller than 75 gallons, but people get away with it lots of times. its just that u need a big tank so u can arrange the rockwork for it to hide in.

·
inTank
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the other forum I am active at there are a lot of experienced nano-reefers that have mandarins trained. It really wasn't that hard, they do like frozen food you just have to show them how to eat it. It took me a few tries and about two weeks to switch from brine to mysis to Rods. The garlic in rods is a huge help.

Actually a really easy method is to put the mandarin in a breeder box. Then put in frozen food. It will pretty much train itself.

Again.... to anyone else reading this, they are not for the beginner. Research first and let the tank mature.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ok thanks well we are going off topic so i got an answer to everything i asked so lets now go back to just welcomes.

V

·
0 Posts
Well I'll be, I just noticed your from Menomonee Falls, only a few miles away from me!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts