Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a male betta in my 6 gallon eclipse tank and i sort of want 2 otocinclus and 1 cory cat added but i want to know some other possiblities before making a choice.

So if you had my 6 gallon tank with lots of plant cover but still plenty bottom and swimming area...what would you add? (betta MUST be included)

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks for the idea but i dont much want kuhli loaches...already have a golden dojo loach in my bigger tank. Love him but i think i like having just one loach like that.

and i definently want more for my tank because my betta is hard to find because he likes hiding in all the plants.

I think i like the cardnal or neon tetra idea though. thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
love your signature shotgun!

And ill be sure to tell everyone what i choose but i still dont know for sure so if you have any more suggestions fell free to tell them to me.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Bettas do fine with Cardinal tetras but neons are known to be fin nippers and while it is your choice as to what you want to keep in your tank if it was a choice in the two my recommendation would be the Cardinals. While the neons would be perfectly safe, they will nip your bettas fins and cause a potential for fin infections that can become chronic and very difficult to deal with. It is certainly anyone's option to do with their tanks as they choose but I can only give the best information as I have found it.

I do not think anyone has said that bettas have to be totally solitary but some of them do best that way. It kind of depends on the fish. Some of them are not meant to be with others due to their temperment. But my betta is not solitary and none of my bettas have been for a long time. And yes there are fish they are compatible with just not a great lot of them. You can check the compatibility charts as I truly believe they are set up for a good reason.

Rose

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bettas do fine with Cardinal tetras but neons are known to be fin nippers and while it is your choice as to what you want to keep in your tank if it was a choice in the two my recommendation would be the Cardinals. While the neons would be perfectly safe, they will nip your bettas fins and cause a potential for fin infections that can become chronic and very difficult to deal with. It is certainly anyone's option to do with their tanks as they choose but I can only give the best information as I have found it.

I do not think anyone has said that bettas have to be totally solitary but some of them do best that way. It kind of depends on the fish. Some of them are not meant to be with others due to their temperment. But my betta is not solitary and none of my bettas have been for a long time. And yes there are fish they are compatible with just not a great lot of them. You can check the compatibility charts as I truly believe they are set up for a good reason.

Rose

*i/d*Thanks. Ill tell you what ill do...im leaing toward neon but if they start nipping his fins i have plenty of room in my 55 gallon for them. If i have to move them then ill try cardinal..if problems occure ill add them to the 55 gallon as well and then ill try cory cat in the tank..if it doant work either my 55 still has a little room so thats where it will go..after that ill just stick to otocinclus for my 6 gallon betta tank.
Do you like my idea?

(plus my sister has some room in her tank if all goes badly)*w3

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Keep in mind that as mentioned...this is a 6g tank. Not much stocking options available. I wouldn't add cardinals. They are more of a blackwater fish. While beautiful, the tank will be too small for a school. Otos will work but be mindfull of your (their) feeding regiment. Suppliment with blanched zuc if you do. Neons will be hit or miss with the betta. While not aggressive, they are hyper. Mr. Betta might not like all the activity going on. A peacefull mate would probably be Harley (Harlequin Rasbora). But then again, they need to be kept in groups of at least 4. This may be a better option. Definately frown upon the cory in such small confines.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Actually as I posted earlier, the choice does have to be yours as it is your tank but James does make a good point in that the 6 gallon does not really have room for a good school of tetras and the betta. I will say that while you may be able to accomodate them filter wise with more water changes it will tend to make any semi-aggressive more aggressive if they feel crowded. But try it as long as if you say, you have a back up plan.

Please let us know how it goes. I would be interested to know.

Rose

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay...ive been watching my bettas behavior and i think he will be happier if i leave him in his tank by himself EXCEPT 1 otocinclus and every once in a while ill add a ghost shrimp for live food. and if he dosnt eat it ill just have an extra pet. Sound good?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some schooling fish might be good because they are small so you can put a lot in a small tank and they are fun to see swimming around the tank in little groups.:animated_fish_swimm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts