Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people

I was wondering... I have never ever ever raised the ctenopomas before, and I'd really love to try and raise them :)

I just want to know what types of fishes can they go with??

Angels, tetras, cichlids, Gouramis?? any of those?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Both archers and monos can be acclimated to full fresh water as they are found in both in the wild (depending on the speciea)
I just listed some of the fish I have personally kept with ctenopoma.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both archers and monos can be acclimated to full fresh water as they are found in both in the wild (depending on the speciea)
I just listed some of the fish I have personally kept with ctenopoma.
Oh I see. So Archer Fishes can live in pure freshwater for their entire lives?

Can they go with Angelfishes?

·
Registered
271 Posts
they need to be properly acclimated, but yes, they can live in frest water for their entire lives. as far as goldfish go, i wouldnt mix them personally, however, as i have never tried it personally, i dont have any first hand experience saying it can not be done.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they need to be properly acclimated, but yes, they can live in frest water for their entire lives. as far as goldfish go, i wouldnt mix them personally, however, as i have never tried it personally, i dont have any first hand experience saying it can not be done.

Alright so is there only one species of Archer fish?

·
Registered
271 Posts
no. there are a few actually, though most are not common in the hobby.

Toxotes blythii , Toxotes chatareus, Toxotes jaculatrix Toxotes kimberleyensis, Toxotes lorentzi, Toxotes microlepis, Toxotes oligolepis

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no. there are a few actually, though most are not common in the hobby.

Toxotes blythii , Toxotes chatareus, Toxotes jaculatrix Toxotes kimberleyensis, Toxotes lorentzi, Toxotes microlepis, Toxotes oligolepis
Lol thanks :) are there any other brackish fishes that can stay in a FW environment? like the Scats?

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Can they go with Angelfishes?
Absolutely not. Monos are notorious fin nippers, seemingly much like tiger barbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Please be really careful when considering adding brackish fish to freshwater, many will suffer and succumb to fungal infections if kept in freshwater, Their is only one species of Archer that is occasionally found in freshwater T.microlepsis but even so it is hard water that increases in salinity depending on the season, and although they will survive for a year or two in freshwater they will thrive for 8-10 years in brackish water. The same goes for scats and some Datnoids. Another key point is that the Ctenopoma acutirostre, prefer soft water were as Scats archers etc need hard water. You will be far better combining them with large peaceful fish, like ropefish, Plecs, Gouramis, Angels, congo tetras etc.
So good luck and why not buy 4 or more and keep them in a well planted species tank and breed them?

·
Registered
271 Posts
they are easily acclimated with no adverse effects. but by no means can you just take a brackish fish and throw it in fresh water.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T.microlepsis, I don't know if that really is an archer fish... because the latin name for them is Toxotes.
Ctenopoma acutirostre
Those are freshwater fishes... I think they are also known as leopard gourami. I have seen scats in salt water (pure) and they are huge fishes... that can grow really big.

Another key point is that the Ctenopoma acutirostre, prefer soft water were as Scats archers etc need hard water. You will be far better combining them with large peaceful fish, like ropefish, Plecs, Gouramis, Angels, congo tetras etc.
I have gouramis, and angels. So are you saying that I can fit some scats into pure freshwater tank?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
T.microlepsis,
I don't know if that really is an archer fish... because the latin name for them is Toxotes.

Ctenopoma acutirostre
Those are freshwater fishes... I think they are also known as leopard gourami. I have seen scats in salt water (pure) and they are huge fishes... that can grow really big.

Another key point is that the Ctenopoma acutirostre, prefer soft water were as Scats archers etc need hard water. You will be far better combining them with large peaceful fish, like ropefish, Plecs, Gouramis, Angels, congo tetras etc.
I have gouramis, and angels. So are you saying that I can fit some scats into pure freshwater tank?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok I will try to clear a few points up. The leopard ctenopoma or spotted climbing perch, is a freshwater soft water species. It will combine with larger non aggressive species like your angels and gouramis.
T.microlepsis is the shortened name for the toxotes microlepsis archer fish, also known as the golden freshwater archer or small scale archer fish. It does occasionally live in freshwater but it will suffer, so do not keep it in your tank with angels etc. They are also very active and can be agressive so don't mix well with the species you have anyway.
So in conclusion you can keep angels gouramis and leopard ctenopoma (spotted climbing perch) (ctenopoma acutirostre) in a tank together, as they come from similar biotopes and water conditions. You can but should not keep any monos, scats, archers with them as they will suffer and die quickly or outgrow the tank, if you want archers etc and they are great fish, get a new tank and have a brackish setup.
I hope this helps and good luck
I don't mean to go on but it upsets me so to see brackish fish sold and kept as freshwater, only for them to suffer and die when in fact many of our freshwater fish are happy in brackish water like mollies and guppies!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys,

this is Heiko Bleher and I really cannot believe some of the suggestions made here for mates of C. acutirostre (Leopard Ctenopoma or whatever common name you want), which comes from very acid, black water - extremely soft.

I collected many and this species lives far inland only, (1000 km from the Sea) and most of the fish here, like Toxotes species (Archer fishes), mono, scates etc. are brackish and marine living species of completely different water parameters - very alkaline, high pH, very hard and mostly clear or turbid habitat with mangroves.

It seems to me you all must learn a lot about fishes and you should consider what fishes want. If they are used to live with certain mates (and in an biotope near to their natural habitat).

Butterfly (Pantodon buchholzi) is the only correct mate I have seen on this thread. Some habitat of the C. acutirostre you can see on my website under Bleher's Biotopes. Also mates could be Gnathonemus petersii, Synodontis species (pleurops, ornatipinnis, nigriventris, etc.), Distichodus species (lussoso, sexfasciatus, etc.), Hemichromis species, Polypterus species, etc.

Think fish, that is what I always say and if you do, you have a fantastic aquarium and your fishes will thank it to you and feel so much better and spawn very fast...

with kindest regards from one who should know (after 100 African-field-trips).

Always

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I will try to clear a few points up. The leopard ctenopoma or spotted climbing perch, is a freshwater soft water species. It will combine with larger non aggressive species like your angels and gouramis.
T.microlepsis is the shortened name for the toxotes microlepsis archer fish, also known as the golden freshwater archer or small scale archer fish. It does occasionally live in freshwater but it will suffer, so do not keep it in your tank with angels etc. They are also very active and can be agressive so don't mix well with the species you have anyway.
So in conclusion you can keep angels gouramis and leopard ctenopoma (spotted climbing perch) (ctenopoma acutirostre) in a tank together, as they come from similar biotopes and water conditions. You can but should not keep any monos, scats, archers with them as they will suffer and die quickly or outgrow the tank, if you want archers etc and they are great fish, get a new tank and have a brackish setup.
I hope this helps and good luck
I don't mean to go on but it upsets me so to see brackish fish sold and kept as freshwater, only for them to suffer and die when in fact many of our freshwater fish are happy in brackish water like mollies and guppies!
Wow you really helped me clear things up :) thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts