Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm running a 75 gal tank and I have a 2 1/2 gal tank under it in the oak cabinet that I used for the baby guppies. I was also going to keep it as a sick tank. It's got some small java fern and a bit of anacharis in it. Anyway, now that the guppies are big enough for the big tank, what should I do with the little one? I have to keep it running, right? Seems like a waste but I don't want to dump it out and start over when my endlers or platy gets knocked up. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Keep it running and just leave a two small fish in there. It should be easy to keep it up with such a small bio load.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yup what Susan said. Break it down. If you need it later, use water from the big tank to fill it and some filter floss/media from your 75g filter and put it in your 2g filter.

Depending on what you medicate with, you will probably kill the beneficial bacteria when you medicate anyways. However, depending on what it is, you may need to medicate the larger tank (Ex. ich)...since it has 2 cycles and can float in the water and re-infect a treated fish. I would use the 2g as a "holding" tank for new fish, so that your chance of introducing a disease goes way down. I premedicate fish in a holding tank for a week before adding them to my Discus tank.

If you decide to keep your 2g up, I would suggest a couple of shrimp. They stay small and help break down waste.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts