Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 50gal planted setup and I currently live in an apartment. I imagine I won't be living there forever and one day move into a house. What do people do with their precious tanks they have spent so much time and effort establishing? Is there a way to move it safely?
A few years back I thought I would be a tough guy and lift my 20gal(water still in the tank) when I moved out of my parents place to my apartment. I figured oh yeah maybe dump half the water out and I should be able to carry and transport. Okay so yeah it was too heavy and even after I got down to 25% I could not carry it. I ended up bringing my fish over in a bucket and tried to save as much of the water as I could. Just want to be prepared for next time! :)
As well as vacation. I'm going away for a week and I'm sure my pleco will be fine If I get one of those slowly dissolving feeders or something but how do I feed my cory cats or danios or red tail shark etc...
Thanks in advance

Oh also if anyone else has any moving stories lest hear em!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Probably the best way to move is a complete break down. Save water if you can - maybe in gallon jugs to spread out the weight. And move the fish in a bucket. There is not much else to do. Trying to move a tank with water in it will strees the heck out of all the joints and maybe cause leaks down the road - if not catastophic breakage.

Your fish will be fine not being fed for a week. Most of us feed them more than they would get in nature anyway. Just feed as normal before you leave and do a water change. The fish will be fine when you get back. The only thing I do while on vacation is to put their light on a timer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts