Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 10 gallon tank with 5 GloFish Tetra and 2 mystery snails. Recently the snails starting having snail sex. Now every couple days the female is laying eggs. I'm getting tired of scrapping eggs off the tank, and I'm worried that I might miss some and end up with a snail infestation. What is the right thing to do here? Everything I've read online says to euthanize one of the snails, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do that, especially because my kids are very attached to them.

Registered
We have a 10 gallon tank with 5 GloFish Tetra and 2 mystery snails. Recently the snails starting having snail sex. Now every couple days the female is laying eggs. I'm getting tired of scrapping eggs off the tank, and I'm worried that I might miss some and end up with a snail infestation. What is the right thing to do here? Everything I've read online says to euthanize one of the snails, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do that, especially because my kids are very attached to them.
Hi!馃槂
Boy, it sounds to me like you're in a "hard place"...hmmm...
Well, you've been doing great so far; okay? But as you read, that's the only way, hon, unfortunately...and, if the female isn't the one that you remove she will continue to lay them until the sperm is completely out of her system though; okay?
Welll... I sigh...yes, I understand but you'll have to make the decision, unfortunately...

Registered
I did not know this that鈥檚 probably why most people just have one snail馃檮 there鈥檚 nothing to put in there that would eat all the little babies? I know the pea puffer fish is out of the question鈥
Hi! 馃槂
It's ok, hon, really... I shrug...
Let's see...hmmm....yes, there are fish that love to eat snails; grreat idea!!馃槂馃槂
-Gouramis
-Black Kuhlis
- Corys
- of course, Cichlids
- Freshwater Angelfish
I know these all do from experience but you could go online and do a little research and you may be surprised!馃槂

1 - 5 of 5 Posts