Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Aquarium Expert
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have A 10 Gallon Fish Tank With:

3 Black Phantom Tetras (2 Females 1 Male)
1 Honey Gourami

What New Fish Should I Get???
I Was Thinking Maybe 1 German Blue Ram, Or 1 Clown Loach, Or Some Dwarf Puffers.......

I Want Exciting Cool Fish Too!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Your tank isn't big enough for a ram or clown loach. Ram needs a min. of 20 gal to be happy
Clown loachs need a minimum of 100 gal and need to be in groups of at least 3. With the dwarf puffer or any puffer for that matter don't make good community fish. Even though there are small they can still cause damage to other fish in the tank.

·
The Aquarium Expert
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So What Fish Do You Reccomend?
I Would Like Cool Exciting Fish!!!!!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I am sorry to tell you but in a 10 gallon tank you are stocked already. To put more fish in there would be kind of cruel to the ones you have there now. Plus Gouramis get very cranky when they are crowded and start being mean to the other fish around them. They are territorial and can kill fish when they feel crowded or like the other fish are coming into their territory.

Unless you are in a position to get a bigger tank, I am thinking that tank is full besides I do think the fish you have are plenty cool and exciting.

Rose

·
Registered
74 Posts
ya i hate gouramis in the first place mayb a cory cat cause they will take the bottom of the tank and the others can take the rest

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
I agree, your tank is no where near big enough for rams, clown loaches, or puffers. I like to put clown loaches in groups or at least 3-4, and put them in atleast 125 gallons. Plus, clown loaches get too big for a 10 gallon tank.

Puffers such as green puffers, dont make good community fish, as they may get agressive towards other tank mates.

Rams need ATLEAST 20-30 gallons to be happy. Although I have never personally kept rams, i hear that they are hard to care for, as they are very sensative to pH changes in the water, and they have a short life expectancy.

You already have exciting cool fish! If your tank was larger, I would urge you to get another gourami, and possibly more black phantom tetras. You could try a guppy-only tank. I have one of those. Get one male, and two female, and raise the fry if you want. Guppies are easy to care for and are a great introduction into the aquarium and fish keeping hobby! Try some guppies if you would like. They have lavish tails and are small enough to keep in a 10 gallon community tank, or guppy-only tank. Be carefull not to overstock! With guppies, you could easily overstock your tank. Buy one male, and two female, and raise the fry. Sell some, or give some away to friends who may be in the aquarium hobby. Most importantly, i would like to leave you with this note: ALWAYS make sure that your fish are properly cared for, and to provide the BEST for your fish; so they can live happy lives and provide you with joy for years to come. :)

Let us know what you decide to do!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I cringed a little when I read clown loach. *o2

Sry to say...you're pretty much there with what you can do with your current setup.

If, if.... you had any wiggle room, I would say some pygmy cories for the bottom. But they like sand substrate.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Well unfortunately Pygmy cories need at least 6 to be comfortable in their school. That takes up a lot of room and he does not have the room, so I fully agree that if he had the room they would be nice but he does not.

And I have to agree that you DO already have cool and exciting fish and the ones you have are very nice. Fish are not disposable and since your tank is full, maybe you can work hard and save for a larger tank someday and then think about adding to your crew in the tank but you are not doing those that you have a fair shake to add more at this point.

Rose

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some loaches might be nice because simmilar to the tetras they will swim with eachother around the bottom of the tank. I think they also will eat old food that sunk to the bottom and that will help keep your tank clean (I think) you should do research first because I've never kept loaches I just think they look cool.

BUT you need to upgrade your tank forst it is a little too small.

:angler_fish::fish10:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts