Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So awhile back I bought my first plant and put it into my little tank. I soon realized that it was too big and moved it to the big tank. As soon as I moved it to the big tank the thing started growing like nothing else.

What you cant see in this picture is the canopy it has created over the aquarium (some branches are over two feet long).

After it started to get to big, I cut a few tips off and planted them around the tank.

Even after cutting them off the main plant, they have continued growing like before. The first one I cut off has grown about two inches in a week.

Its really not a problem so Im not sure why I want to know what it is, but if anybody knows that would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have had this stuff "melt," like crypts can do, and I don't recall what caused it, but when every one of the tiny little narrow needle-like leaves comes off the plant it makes a huge mess!

Whatever you are doing, however, is making it very happy. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
So awhile back I bought my first plant and put it into my little tank. I soon realized that it was too big and moved it to the big tank. As soon as I moved it to the big tank the thing started growing like nothing else.

What you cant see in this picture is the canopy it has created over the aquarium (some branches are over two feet long).

After it started to get to big, I cut a few tips off and planted them around the tank.

Even after cutting them off the main plant, they have continued growing like before. The first one I cut off has grown about two inches in a week.

Its really not a problem so Im not sure why I want to know what it is, but if anybody knows that would be great.
Thanks
Woah, I think the greenish brown blended color in the first picture looks like a water sprite :)

My plants grow fast too, it's just normal when you have photosynthesis in your tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hornwort is a great plant! and you are doing something right!
When given optimum light and nutrients it can grow up to 3 inches a day!
I wouldn't suggest planting it though because it will not root and It will just
rot in the gravel, I tried this with no success only to find that this species
of plant is meant to be a floater or anchored/tied. Not meant to be burried
or planted...

I've had this plant for years, a great plant!
-Brandon

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or planted...

-Brandon
I have been cutting of a lot of the stems on it and planting them and they seem fine. The only problem is my stupid crab keeps uprooting them :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
hmmm strange just watch out though and dont plant them very close together I guess...
When I planeted it before the stems that were burried just seemed to rot away and it kinda
fouled up the water...

If its working then I guess your doing ok.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hornwort has no roots, so it does not need to be planted, per se, so when you put it in the gravel you are simply anchoring it, which is fine. I suppose if you push it down deeper then the bases will rot, but if you just anchor it with some gravel it will keep it from floating all around. It is a great plant - haven for baby fish as well as a nutrient sponge to combat algae.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hornwart grows like crazy. I remember when i had it. It would grow like an inch a day. You can cut the hornwort and its many side shoots, and it still will continue to grow. lol I had to take it out of one of my tanks because it took the tank over .

·
Registered
285 Posts
or planted...

-Brandon
Really? I have a water sprite, and it's growing very well. They don't rot, and I researched that they do better when planted into the gravel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hornwort is a FLOATING plant, and never forms roots of any kind. It looks like a stem plant, but it isn't. It will completely cover the water surface blocking all light to any other plants below. supposedly it contains a toxin that when released helps to kill off algae. It sheds it needle like leaves when it runs out of room, isn't getting enough nutrients or light.

Watersprite has roots and is not a floating plant per se. There is one variety of Watersprite, Ceratopteris, that is strictly floating, but its not a common variety, but even it has roots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts