Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nemo is a 3+ year old Fantail. Lives in a 125g tank with 2 other goldie's, (another large fantail and a big 10 inch common goldie) a large tin foil barb and some cory cats. They have all been together for years with no problems. All fish look and act fine. A happy tank.

History: age about 3+ years; has done the turn white thing (very cool); no visible signs of disease, no evidence of scales or fins being picked at, doesn't hide, eats well and seems perfectly healthy.

Nemo has lost both his eyes at this point, 1 at a time. (The other fish picked them out? Why?) 1st, we noticed one eye gone but no signs of anything else wrong. About two weeks later, the other eye is gone now too. I am at a loss as to what/why this is happening. As I said, Nemo seems perfectly healthy and happy. (bless his little heart) Now I understand the nature taking it's course thing where fish thin out the old and weak but Nemo doesn't seem to fit into that category. Am I missing something? Is there some kind of disease that would make his eyes fall out? Ummm, he lost one eye and his tank mates took out the other? I'm at a loss. Anyone with any ideas please respond.

Edit: Also, if he's a danger somehow to my other fish, (sick, infected or just miserable too I suppose) should I put him to sleep at this point?

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is strange.did you treat for bacteria or parisites? I have one black molly who had some kind of film over the eyes. I treated for bacteria, and the film went away.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, never thought about it. Didn't see anything on either eye so... That's probably it though. Guess I'll treat the tank just in case. Hey, thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how are things going with nemo?
He's doing great. Memorized the tank of course. Swims around with the other fish. Knows when they come near him. Scrounges 24/7 like everybody else. Almost can't tell he can't see. Funny that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts