Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have 5 jack Dempsey in my main tank living with other cichlids – last week I saw 2 of them had spawned for the time in the main tank (Male: 12cm – Female: 7cm) – After 3 days they hatched - after 3 more days they started to swim freely and there was the danger of being eaten by other fishes so I decided to separate them and move them to new tank with no other fish – I took the babies and put them in the new tank and 1 hour later I took the mother also too help me in taking care of the babies and put her in the new tank as well.
She remembered the babies and started to take care of them – feed them – move them and …
But after 2 days (last night) when I went to feed them I felt that the number of babies are reduced!! And today morning when I when to feed them again there was no baby in tank!!!!!!!!!!!!
I could find some dead bodies but it was just one fifth of all the babies!!!! Did the mother ate them all??!!??
Why? There was nothing making her Stress!!! If she had got stress she should ate them all the first day I separate them!!??
Any Idea?

·
Registered
45 Posts
mother fish dont take care of their babies. they protect the eggs until they hatch usually, but like to eat them once they do. best chance if they spawn again, dont transfer the mother with them. I know it seems lonely for a human, but mother fish DO eat their babies.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hmm My Jack dempesys care for thier young. I am not sure that the mother ate them. I suspect if that were the case you wouldn't find any bodies.

Did you move the male as well?

I don't really know what happened to your fry, could there have been an amonia spike or other water quality issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts