Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
well its obviously unhealthy-could be lack of lighting, food etc.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
could be unhealthy water parameters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
check the water higher than 25 nitrates will cause problems and of coarse any amonia, nitrite try moving it closer to the light or a water change 20-40% make sure water is close to same temp so you dont shock it

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it hasnt been running near long enough for me to be putting coral in it but i jumped the gun before i learned how long to let it run for

but i do have an update on the coral, two small pieces died but i have two new bigger pieces growing in their place

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm not going to sit here and preach about tank cycling, but it is really important to let your tank do its thing for at least a month before you put any livestock in it. If the coral doesn't make it, don't be too surprised, and just chalk it up to a learning experience. In the meantime, don't put anything else in there until it's finished cycling. Keep in mind that there is a lot more to the WQ parameters of a reef tank than there is in a fish-only tank. While lighting, pH, temp, and the nitrogen cycle are all very important for any tank, there are a lot of trace elements that are needed for a healty reef. Also, think about what you want to stock before you buy it. You might want to get species that are incompatible with one another or just aren't good for a reef tank at all, so look into that before buying anything. The best advice I was given before starting my reef was, "do your research." The more you know about this stuff the better off you and your tank are. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
724 Posts
One more thing. I would recommend adding some cheap mushroom corals first when your tank is done cycling. They did wonders for my WQ and are generally very hardy. A good first coral for a young tank. Xenias, leathers and star polyps are good secondary additions as they are not too care-intensive. Basically, just don't go get azooxanthellate (non-photosynthetic) corals like sun polyps or certain grogonians for a while. And if you're considering an anemone at any point, wait until your tank is at least 6 months old. They need REALLY stable water parameters. How big is this tank?

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a half dollar sized green striped mushroom coral that came on my live rock but other than that im not sure what all came in on the rock. the tank is a 29 gallon

·
Registered
943 Posts
Actually xenia tends to do better in a tank with higher nutrients than lets say a lps or sps tank. I see your are running Hagen Glo ho t-5 how many bulbs are you running because for a reef you should have at least 3 IMO and 4 would be best IMO

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am running two bulbs, the marine glo and the power glo
thats all the bulbs that will fit where are you gettign ones that take more than that?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Reactions: phil_pl

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would it be worth it to buy the fixture with 4 bulbs or should i just get another one with two bulbs and put them side by side

·
Registered
756 Posts
I personally would do 2 bulbs, I have learned that if something happens to one set you still have a backup, whereas if you only have 1 set (4 bulbs) and that goes bad, you are screwed.

I guess one reason to go for the 4 bulb unit would be to save some space. Nova was not thinking and put their cords behind instead of to the side. This means you need about a 2 in space between units...so in the end it is up to what matters to you the most.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts