Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

May seem like a silly question, but here is my thought. I just purchased a 55 gallon tank, and I'm want to buy a solid oak TV stand #26-53923 and I was thinking about putting the new tank on it, seeing my TV is on the wall, and we could watch TV and the fish together. All the video componets can still go inside.

Now the stand is alot $$$$ for my budget, and I want to make sure it lasts forever (longer then the tank). So I'm wondering what I can do to protect the top of it from any mositure while the tank is on it. I'm going to have them stain and finish (polyurathane).

I was thinking about putting it on another piece of oak on top on the stand, but during water changes, etc... I'm still worried about moisture.

Any idea's???

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have my small tank on a simple side table, my 30 gallon on a tv stand, and my 60 gallon on a wooden stand, built by moi.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have my 75 gallon sitting on top of a 6 ft long dresser. i have had no problems with moisture under the tank. i would get an aquarium stand or a dresser that is at a comfortable height to you for when you do water changes or are cleaning the tank. tv stands are not that sturdy and they seem to warp under the weight of the aquarium. better to be safe then cleaning up 55gals of water out of a carpet or off hardwood floors. jmo.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
I am into woodworking so I build my own stands. The TV stand should work but it should be protected. First, put a mat, either cardboard or plastic, between the tank and the top of the stand. If possible, look for some waterproof sealant that you would see for things like decks, and other wood products prone to water damage. You won't need this if the stand is particle board wrapped in veneer. If it is solid, or plywood, you will need it to prevent the wood from warping. Besides that, you shouldn't have any trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts