Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 10 gal tank sitting around and i want to make a nano reef out of it. I know it is a lot of work with bi weekly water changes and all that, but that is not a big deal for me. Doing it right is what is important. I am pretty new to saltwater, and i would like to know what you guys think i should have in it. What type of filter should i have? heater? other accessories?

How long and how should i cycle it? substrate?

What can i put in it? i wouldn't mind just having crabs, shrimp, and some clownfish but i don't want to overstock it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I actually have a 10 gal. nano too, it's a lot of fun, and a lot less work then people make it out to be.
but the question is are you going to be keeping corals, because if you are you'll be needing more intense lighting fixtures, but that's another story.
just to start off with the basics I use a marine land size B filter I believe. it filters for a 50 gal. tank so it just makes life a little easier. you'll want to have a few pounds of live sand to make a thick layer on the bottom. you'll need at least 10lbs of live rock( or you could always get dried dead rock, it's a bit cheaper and will eventually come back to life and house Coraline algae over time)(this acts as a natural filter and speeds the cycle)
for a heater just get something that will sustain about 78-81F
you also might want to invest in a small power head for water flow, it'll keep the water moving and will give a little current for your fish to swim against.

for fish, I kept 2 clowns for a very long time until they passed, so it's very do-able
and currently I have 2 fish, and green chromis and purple back psuedochromis

but keep in mind, for the cycling process you might loose a fish or two, so you might just want to start with some cheap ones. if I missed anything you have questions about feel free to ask! I love helping :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i definitely don't want to cycle with fish because it can be very painful and deadly to them, so i have no problem cycling it in another way that takes longer. What would be the process for this? I wouldn't mind if this took a while so would i be able to start cycling it with the small whisper 10 that i have now on it and then upgrade before i start putting anything living in (besides sand). How much sand (how deep or how many lbs) would you suggest?

I would like to keep corals in it, right now i have a ZooMed aquatic "Ocean Sun 10000k" 15 watt bulb. It says it is specific for deep ocean and reef, but that may also mean absolutely nothing. Would that bulb work?

·
Registered
167 Posts
to start the cycle with out fish, you'll just need the live sand and live rock. for live sand about a pound per gallon, but just make like a nice 2 inch-ish bed.

I hate to break it, but just with that bulb it wouldn't be sufficient to keep any corals. you need about 4-5 watts per gallon to keep some fairly easy softies like mushrooms, zoos, and leathers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so would my small filter be ok to start the cycling process? What do i have to do to cycle it properly? Are there any How to's out there about it?

I will have to look into some better lighting, but can everything else start without it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
uhm, your actually going to need a saltwater filter, like marine land brands. but that will also help the cycle process because it has all that biological mumbo jumbo in it. but once you have the filter, the live sand, and rock in there and obviously the water with the proper salt levels, just let it sit for a week or two with the light going on normally too. then just add a fish after the water params have settled and you should be fine! I think I added my cycle fish after 5 days and it did amazing before I exchanged him at the store. =p

·
Registered
167 Posts
your welcome!
I love to help, especially with salt water!
if you have anymore questions just let me know :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts