Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we have a 72 gallon bow front corner tank. we have a yellow tang blue hippoe tang a dragon goby and a puffer valentini. we had 2 nemos but we lost one last week and one today but we can't find it anywhere. Ok i have noticed the water real cloudy a week or 2 ago so we rinsed the filter out and the water is nice and clear now. well this has been going on for a while now but i have noticed like little bubbles on there fins. i didnt think much of it. we have had a problem with the yellow tang and the blue hippo. i bought the blue hippo about a week before christmas. well the yellow tang showed him whos boss for a couple days then they were cool then a couple weeks later back to fighting. I came home from work and noticed that the blue one was covered with bubbles must be ick but in the morning they were gone. well he is still alive but really weak. i noticed the dragon his one eye is messed up my puffer has bubbles on fins. the only one that seems fine is the yellow tang. guy from work said i could put some copper in the tank. now i dont have anywhere to put the fish other than where they are now and it is a fish only tank so will treating them hurt them. I kindof figure i am out a couple hundred dollars in fish probably cause this disease is know to kill them. and also my daughter seen these tiny little bugs on the glass would that be the ick parasites?

·
Registered
943 Posts
The little whit bugs your daughter sees are pods and are good IMO how long did you have the clowns?? What type of filtration do you have and exactlly what does your water test at (actuall numbers). I would get some garlic gaurd or something similar and add it to the food as it can cause a feeding frenzy of sorts and I would use some brine shrimp to at least get them eating and mix in some mysis shrimp you also need to feed your tangs algea sheets. I am sorry about your problems and to tell the truth your tank is much too small for 2 tangs IMO also can you get us some pics please

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well prob dont want no pics of these fish i think 2 more are going to die today as they can barely swim. this stuff is all over there fins there eyes. i really feel sorry for these fish cause i seen the stuff on there fins days ago and never really thought about it. now just over night it got so much worse to them. the yellow tang is the only one swimming around and his color is still yellow but can see a shade of white on him. there has got to be something i can dump in the water to help this. i guess off to the pet store here soon

·
Registered
943 Posts
You can use copper but that will also kill all your inverts, start your feeding like I said in my other post. The way you are describing it as covering the entire fish it does sound like ich. I am afraid copper will finish them off and hyposalinity would also but it sounds like you dont have much choice for now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I know that doing a FW dip can work wonders on ich but if the fish is in bad shape they most likely wont survive the dip but it does work wonders. What are you useing to test your salinity a hydrometer or refractometer??

·
Registered
16 Posts
As long as you don't have inverts or live rock you should put copper in the tank right away. The cloudy eyes is a seconday infection, good indicator of a systemic parasitic infection. Freshwater baths will only work for external parasites. When fish display symptoms of ich it means they've had in their blood stream for a while. You also need to kill the tomites (free swimming ich), and tomonts (like eggs in the gravel) in the tank, baths won't do that. I like Ionic copper, but you need to test the level daily with a copper kit to maintain a concentration of .15 ppm for 14 days. "Seacure" by Aquarium Systems is ionic copper, but they stopped making it. I'm not sure what brands are out there now. The down side to Ionic Copper: if you've never used it in the tank before, new gravel will suck it up, so you'll probably need to keep adding it. I believe that Mardel and some other companies make a Chelated copper that you only dose once and it will stay in the tank for two weeks as long as you don't do a water change. It's not quite as effective. You can also do a half dose of Quickcure by Aquarium Products with either copper to help remove the actual trophonts (spots on the fish), just one dose should do it. When you're done medicating make sure you do a 30% water change and add a polypad to remove the left over copper after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good my fish store gave me mardel coppersafe. have to put in 5ml for 4 gallons so i put in 65 ml. suppose to put some in every month. i am going to get a uv sterilizer. so i wont have to use this copper. i still have the yellow tang and the valentini puffer he doesnt look too good but seems to be eating. so hopefully the copper is helping some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts