Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that Leds are only good up to a certain depth of water, is this true? How deep is too deep for leds n a reef?

·
Vodka Doser
6,490 Posts
Tough call. It all depends on what your keeping. But in general the 3w LEDs will penetrate up to 24" deep well enough. And, if you go with 5w LEDs, then your well off in the deep zone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So for a 36" deep tank I would want to go with 5w leds? I know very little about leds, just seeing if something is possible before going to do loads of research on something I cant have :)

·
Vodka Doser
6,490 Posts
Again, it all depends on what you plan on keeping on the bottom. 3w with a 40-60 degree focusing lens will put out quite a bit of light. My mistake for not mentioning the lenses in the first post.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I get what you mean. Sorry for trying to generalize it. I know every aquarium is differen't on its needs. I may do some research :) Thanks. Least I know it is possible :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
The above website is chock full of info for you. The AquaBeam and Aquaray lighting systems are top notch. I use one on my freshwater tank and love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts