Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that kribs and rams can be kept in a community setup. I was wondering, what about convicts and firemouths? The tank they would be going in is a 55g with the smallest fish, danios, all others 3-5 in.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
My experience with convicts and firemouth cichlids are, they both become very territorial as they age. Both can kinda hold their own, but if you dont like confusion, you wont be happy with this combo. Ive never noticed them as individuals being overly aggressive with smaller fish, unless they are small enough to resemble lunch :)

G

·
...especially if they pair off. At that point, you mine as well forget all hopes of keeping them in any sort of a community setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree w the pairing off thing, I think if you got one firemouth & one convict, they would stake out territories & have fun posing/flaring at ea other, they'd be more occupied w that than getting bored & chasing smaller fish. Feed them well & the danios should be fine!

ADDING: make sure the convict is smaller than the firemouth, so the firemouth will be more equal, lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it Is something natural for cichlidos being territorial, in my experience when you enter small cichlids in a comunitarium it is easer for them to adap between. The problem that I think you may have... it`s a possible hibridacion between the convictos and the fire mouht

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
it may have been a fluke but i successfully kept a pink convict with black skirts and other mixed tetras, BUT when i put him in with my cichlids he was the meanest one in the tank

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have a funny story that might help...i have a 20g which was my cichlid tank. i also have a 55g which was a community tank...but i reversed them. when i put my cichlids in the 55 they completely ignore the tetras and danios and balas i had in there. after a few days i finally got around to switching the 20g water to a lower ph and put the community fish in there...all of this was done with not a single casualty to the community fish. i have a pink convict, 3 bumblees, 1 zebra, 5 kennyis, 1 cobalt, 1 jack dempsey, and 1 that idk what it is. so i think you should be fine with just 2 cichlids in there.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I think most compatibility charts do recommend caution using them in community situations and I would not have the courage to do it.

Rose

Reactions: JIM

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Cichlid folks tend to have a much more dare-devil approach to fishkeeping in general Rose they go into that hobby knowing there will be fighting and trouble, but seem to push the limits anyway, or at least i do, and i have had some pretty unbelievable combinations in tanks at times, that worked. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think a main key to lebguy's story is that the smaller fish were there first, so when he added to cichlids the community fish were already comfortable in their environment.. plus they don't do the glide stop pose type swimming that attracts cichlid attention. I would guess his cichlids were busy picking out their new spots & reestablishing hierarchy (sp?) w each other.

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are less aggressive species that would be better than convicts. Honduran red points or other Cryptoheros spp (aside from convicts) like nanoluteus or myrnae are less aggressive in general. There are also a couple smaller species of Geophagus that would work.
I have a breeding pair of Australoheros oblongum that are very mellow fish for cichlids. They claim a relatively small territory (about 1.5') when spawning but otherwise aren't aggressive at all. You won't find them in an lfs, or even on aquabid, but I do have a couple dozen fry (about 1" now) growing out f/s. Here's a couple pics of the breeding pair. Male is about 4", female 3", and they're not likely to grow noticeably larger:

Better pic of the female:

·
Registered
42 Posts
oh, those are nice! yes I agree, those convicts are spunky. I like Geophagus Jurupari (I think they have a new name tho) they spar in a more easy-going manner, even when they're 7" long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
german rams are harmless and pretty and i keep severums and firemouths together they all bully one firemout but he still gets all the food he needs and has hiding place

·
Love my fish!
11 Posts
No one will believe me but I had two Jewel Cichlids in a tank and the one kept picking on the other so I put him in a tank with some Cardinal Tetras, some Neon Tetras and a Discus and he is soooooo super mellow. The least aggressive Jewel I have ever seen. Not recommending it just more of a comment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts