Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently purchased a 5 gallon tank, not realizing that there isn't much you can put in them. I was planning on having 2-3 ADFs and a betta in there. Sadly, the betta is too aggressive after getting his tail nipped at (he was fine until then) so he is staying in a 1 gallon by himself. I have had success with keeping healthy bettas in a 1 gallon, so I'm not worried about him.

I am wondering what to do with the 5 gallon though. Right now I already have 2 ADFs. Would I be able to just add a female betta and call it good? Or is that still too much? It has a filter and I can do water changes pretty often since I am not extremely busy or anything.

If the betta wouldn't work, what could I consider to go with my 2 ADFs? I want some sort of fish, since ADFs pretty much just sit at the bottom. Any help is much appreciated!! :fish-in-a-bag:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am feeding them sinking frog pellets and bloodworms. Mostly the frog pellets, but I think it's nice to give them a treat and vary their diet with the bloodworms.

·
Registered
192 Posts
if there is no heater in there you shouldnt put a betta in there since they are tropical fish. They should not be kept at room temp. I dont know about frogs. A 5 gal is really small, but you might be able to put some neon tetras in there or something, not sure if the frogs will eat them, i know nothing about frogs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your concern, but all my Bettas in the past have been fine without a heater. We even had one (not mine personally, my sister's) that lived way past the usual life expectancy in one of those small bowls that people put them in. We know now that is not the way to go about it, but back then we didn't and he was still happy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
just saying, its a tropical fish and should be kept like one. A tiger barb can prolly survive in a bowl too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I actually live in the northwest, but I guess we just keep our house really warm. :)

If I had a small school of Neon Tetras, would 3 be a good number? I know they are happier in groups of 6 or more, but I am obviously lacking space. I am slightly worried ADFs would eat them though. Is one female betta completely out of the question?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts