Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am planning on getting back into the hobby. The last tank I had leaked after a few months. Pets mart has a 36gal bowfront on sale for the holiday. There were 50, one star reviews about it leaking. My question is what brands of tanks have a good reputation.?

· Registered
Community tank, tiger barbs, platys, guppies, mystery snail. Java moss.
4 Posts
Pet Smart Top Fin brand, Petco has Aqueon brand… both are fine and have specials throughout the year and TODAY! And just an fyi, you’ll find defects in anything you buy now at times with the way things are manufactured. In reality a lot of things are made by the same manufacture, just “branded” different for each store with their name brand. Good sales today on supplies! Good luck!

· Registered
120 Posts
I have Aqueon, Top Fin and Marineland tanks, all are fine and of decent quality, though the silicone work can be a little messy (doesn't affect the tank performance in any way, just doesn't always look the best). If you want a curved viewing panel look in the 30-ish gallon range, the Coralife Biocube 32 is an excellently made tank that looks really nice, and they come with a programmable light, lid and pump, though you need to supply your own filter media, the pump might be too strong for some inhabitants, and they're on the pricier side. I believe Fluval makes one too, though again on the pricier side. I know Marineland and Aqueon make bowfronts, and I wouldn't be too worried about either of those brands, or Top Fin if they make one. Otherwise, any tank made by a reputable manufacturer is usually a good bet. My 29 is an Aqueon kit that came with the filter and light/hood, and I got lucky because the store I went to was out of stock on 20g tanks (which is what I originally was looking for), so I got it for the same price as a 20g.

· Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies and input. Sorry I took so long to get back here. I have been crazy busy with the holiday. The tank I was looking at was a Top Fin. I appreciate the referrals about kits. But I want to pick my equipment from the ground up. I don't have to get a bow front, I am open to other tanks. Just not bigger than 40gal and no less than 29gal. I'm trying to get one that will fit in my room but as big as I can get. Anyway I am gonna go look around for a tank of the brands you all suggested.

· Registered
120 Posts
In that case I would definitely go with a 40 breeder. The only thing that kind of sucks is there aren't many inexpensive stands that I personally like for them, but if you have a sturdy piece of furniture that would fit it or don't mind building a stand yourself, it can be done pretty inexpensively. Lots of options for both stocking and equipment with a 40 breeder.

· Registered
414 Posts
I keep going back to this one.
With tank and stand that is one hell of a deal. I'd go for it. Nice one :)
Just remember that curvature when/if you go for different lighting, they usually give you just a strip of LED with those kits. Backgrounds might be tricky too.
You'll want to consider swimming area as well, they get a nice 30 inches up front but narrows in the rear.

· Registered
120 Posts
So, I wanted to thank you, my 29 is getting upgraded! My awesome wife and I are going to pick that bowfront up tomorrow, along with some plants. That means I'm going to have a 29 gallon for sale here soon, complete with stand, and I'm thinking about including a cycled sponge filter. So yea, thanks for the link!

Not to try and hijack the thread, but would anyone mind letting me know if I'm out of my mind thinking that a 29g kit with stand and cycled filter is worth at least $100?

· Registered
120 Posts
I would keep the cycled filter running on new tank to help cycle new filter
Oh, no, you misunderstand, I currently have the HOB that came with the tank, plus a sponge filter, in the 29. I'm going to keep the HOB for the transfer, and grab another sponge to replace the one I intend to sell with the tank. My plan is to basically clean the old sponge filter in the new tank once I've got it full and all, and then run the HOB plus the new sponge in there and add some Quick Start or something. Then, I'm going to plop the old sponge in the goldfish tank to keep it cycled until I sell the 29.

· Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I wanted to thank you, my 29 is getting upgraded! My awesome wife and I are going to pick that bowfront up tomorrow, along with some plants. That means I'm going to have a 29 gallon for sale here soon, complete with stand, and I'm thinking about including a cycled sponge filter. So yea, thanks for the link!
You are quite welcome! I am glad someone I know is getting that deal.:cool:

Keep us posted on your new tank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts