Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody remember that???

Well I had a nice 20h with plants, 2 SAE, neon tetras, and a beta. Moved about 3 years ago and lost the tetras and, Jack (the beta) found a new home. SWMBO thought the tank needed some new members and bought some platys from Pet** and, since I did not have a quarantine set up, dumped them in. Everything died from Ich or some other disease. Life got in the way and the tank sat idle for a year or so, with water and very infrequent water changes. Recently the SWMBO said, clean it or through it out.

So I cleaned it, roughly a 130% water change. I would pull about 7 gallons out, refil. I did this for an hour, with an estimated total water dumped on the various outside plants at 28 gallons. Did a 50% change 1 week later. The plants are alive, not thriving, but not dead, from the first planting.

I am thinking that I am able to re-start the tank, but wanted to say hello and some background first. If anyone knows of a LFS in Salem, that would be helpful and advice and encouragement in the re-starting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has there been any fish at all in the tank?
No fish in the tank for over 2 years. I just kept the water in there for the plants. Occasionally I would change the water, say like every month or so, but the tank always had water and the filter running. I think I burnt up the heater, so I am going to replace the heater and filter (Eheim HOB). I know that the Eheim is a good filter, but there are no places in Salem, OR or McMinnville, OR that sell replacement parts/filters. I figure that whatever filter I get, I would be better off to have replacement parts/media readily available than not.

Question, do I need to re-cycle the tank?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome, glad to hear you are back on board!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Thank you for joining us and welcome back to the site.

Rose
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts