Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago I got three wild Peruvian scalare angels that will ultimately go in my 150, but are currently in my 40g planted tank for quarantine. I upped the temp to 84 and have the lights out, but they are still pretty skittish. They hide most of the time. They are absolutely gorgeous, though! I will get pics once they are out and about. They are about 2" top to bottom, minus the fins.

Today I added a bunch of Endler's fry as well as some larger gravid females to stimulate the angels to eat and as dithers. These are my first wild angels, though I've kept wild African Tang cichlids in the past. I am very excited!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good Good :)

Are you going to be posting some pictures for all of us to see?? I'd love to see some :)

How much were they from your pet store if you don't mind me asking xD

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post pics as soon as they relax a bit. They were out and about at the LFS, where they resided for 10 weeks while the owner treated them for parasites and fin rot they had when he got them from Peru. I figure it will take a week or 10 days, then they'll realize humans actually feed them!

I will admit that I paid $29.95 for them. I have named them $30, $60 and $90...;)

I know that is a lot, but if I ordered them online, sight unseen, I'd wind up paying as much or more. It is worth it - they are awesome specimens.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I will post pics as soon as they relax a bit. They were out and about at the LFS, where they resided for 10 weeks while the owner treated them for parasites and fin rot they had when he got them from Peru. I figure it will take a week or 10 days, then they'll realize humans actually feed them!

I will admit that I paid $29.95 for them. I have named them $30, $60 and $90...;)

I know that is a lot, but if I ordered them online, sight unseen, I'd wind up paying as much or more. It is worth it - they are awesome specimens.
Oh Wow Peru!!

I've been there before xD never looked at the rivers or lakes... but isn't that kind of a lot of money just for one angel?

Although I heard that Peruvian Angels are a bit difficult to take care of. I never raised such pricey fishes like the Peruvian Angel before though o_O

The only expensive fishes I have raised before are Electric Blue jack Dempsey, and Discus. Various species of Discus xD

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have raised some very expensive wild Lake Tang Africans, and, this price is not so bad. If you got some decent quality discus they would be about $50, so these fish are about on par with that. They are sensitive like discus, they have specific water params like discus, and they can suffer from illness like discus. They come from the same waters, after all.

The tank-raised angel is a very different animal, and I am ready for the challenge of WC angels. It is expensive to import them, expensive to treat them for parasites, and expensive to house them. Mortality rate is high. I do not begrudge him the price of these fish - they are worth it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have raised some very expensive wild Lake Tang Africans, and, this price is not so bad. If you got some decent quality discus they would be about $50, so these fish are about on par with that. They are sensitive like discus, they have specific water params like discus, and they can suffer from illness like discus. They come from the same waters, after all.

The tank-raised angel is a very different animal, and I am ready for the challenge of WC angels. It is expensive to import them, expensive to treat them for parasites, and expensive to house them. Mortality rate is high. I do not begrudge him the price of these fish - they are worth it.
Oh I see.

I am currently in Waterloo Ontario right now, so I came here from Okinawa Island..

I found out that Big Al's Aquariums has discus for 39.99 plus tax would be about 40 dollars I believe :)

What website do you order your fishes from? I hear that African Cichlids are hardy fishes and don't like soft water conditions.. right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The discus around here, if you get quality ones, are around $50. If you look on Aquabid you can get a good idea of general prices. Wild caught angels are more expensive than tank-bred.

Dave's Rare Aquarium fish is a great place to get Africans, as is Bluegrass Aquatics. Shipping is very high for any online fish purchase, naturally. Most African cichlids prefer hard, alkaline water, yes. My tanks were kept this way, but I know that many Africans that are tank raised and bought locally by the LFS can often be kept in more neutral water, as they have adapted to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts