Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

upon running out of test strips for my tank, i went to the store to get more, and decided to get one of the live PH/Ammonia testers that sticks to the side of the tank (made by Mardel?). there is also a thermometer that is sort of like a mood ring, and after six hours in the tank, the temp still reads around 82 degrees F. interestingly, it is a goldfish tank, without heating. I have never really worried about the temp for these guys before because i figured for a cold water tank you just dont need a heater. Well, i could have tropical fish in here without a heater, according to this thing.
My thermostat in my house reads 69 degrees, and when i put my finger in the water, it seems colder than the air to me.
Has anyone had this same type of tester? does it take a while for that type of thermometer to adjust? i just cant believe that my water is over 80 degrees without a heater.

Thoughts?

and yes, after a few more hours if it doesnt change, i will go get a real thermometer at the store and test it. I just dont have one at the moment and wanted any other thoughts first :)

also, if the readings happen to be right, any ways to keep your fish tank cold in the summer time? my marvelous boyfriend thought of putting ice cubes in
*r2

·
Registered
91 Posts
LOL on the ice cube part. those live ph things need to be replaced also so its kinda just the lazyness factor. i would get another theromometer to make sure its right. super cheap anyway. if the lights are on most of the day you can turn those off, less heat. placement of the tank ,if its in the sun or not. here in Ny its been in the 90's i have to leave my Ac on for my 36gal to Stay under 80...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have found that the thermometer is probably correct. It has been in the record highs here in boulder, no pun intended. I also dont like to use my AC because it costs a lot.. but now i do, because i feel bad for these guys. I have turned on the AC, and have done a 25% water change with slightly refrigerated water, and the 80 degree mark is taking colour, which means the temp is dropping. I am glad I am aware of this though, I dont know how much warmer my tank would have gotten through this heat wave.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I never hold much weight in those "strip" type of thermometers. I'd just as well get a package of the regular types for a couple bucks.

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
just like you, were super cheap! we have AC but we never use it cuz it costs too much...

take a water bottle, fill it up with water, freeze it, and put let it float around in your tank. will deffently lower ur temperature. make 3-4 of them and swap them out when they melt.

you could also fill up an ice tray with AQUARIUM WATER. freeze it and put that in your tank. make sure to use AQUARIUM water and not TAP/CITY water because ur aquarium water will have no chlorine and crap in it. (atleast i hope it should. lol.) becarefull about this because it can sometimes leave cold spots in ur tank. but then again, u have cold water fish, so you should be fine...

you could also take a clip on fan and let it blow on the surface of the water in the tank. dont put it on ocelate, just center it on the middle of the tank. should lower the temp up to 10 degrees.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have found that a bag of ice has worked really well. I have fidgeted with the AC and lighting in my tank, because the lights make it go way up along with the air heat. After a day of experimentation, i have found that leaving the lights on (for my plants) with a bag of ice in works out well for everyone. My fish are pretty curious though, and like to swim up to the bag to see whats going on. I worry a bit about them swimming in the colder area, so ive just been moving the bag accordingly. they do seem to appreciate it though :)

i have also heard that the fan thing works well, but i dont have one and cant afford to go out and get one at the moment. oh, unemployment. luckily the summer will start to cool off soon, and we have been having some forgiving rains.

thanks all, for your ideas :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts