Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 0
PH 6.5-6.8
Hardness 95-100
What can i do to soften my water without altering the PH

·
Registered
47 Posts
Methods of softening water often lower the pH, but your water is on the acidic side already. The easiest way to lower the hardness is to add reverse osmosis water.

What is the water hardness now? How low do you want to take it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Methods of softening water often lower the pH, but your water is on the acidic side already. The easiest way to lower the hardness is to add reverse osmosis water.

What is the water hardness now? How low do you want to take it?
My Hardness is between 95-100 ppm. At times it gets close to 150 ppm. Very Soft water lies between {0-25 ppm} & Soft Lies between {25-75 ppm}. I would be happy If I can fall anywhere below {75 ppm}. Today I ordered some Black Water extract by Tetra which was mentioned to me by a member. I am hoping it will lower my Hardness without sacrificing my PH. What are you thoughts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You want to keep the pH in the 6.5 to 6.8 range where it is now, I assume? What type of fish are you keeping, if I may ask? How soft do you want the water to be?

I'm not a fan of adding things to the water, myself. You could filter your water through peat, that will lower the hardness.

The best way, though, and the way which will keep your water hardness the most stable, will be mixing reverse osmosis water with your tap water to get the hardness you want.

Again, any time you change the hardness, keep in mind the pH can change as well since minerals in the water can act as buffers to the pH value.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You can soften your water with driftwood (tannins), same as what is in the Black water extract, or you can use peat. Both of these may drop you pH a tad, but not much since you water is well buffered (hard). Most soft water fish prefer low pH anyways, they go hand in hand.

I keep my Amazon tank at kH/GH 3 and pH is around 6.2. The discus and tetras are actually happy down to a pH of 5.0.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can soften your water with driftwood (tannins), same as what is in the Black water extract, or you can use peat. Both of these may drop you pH a tad, but not much since you water is well buffered (hard). Most soft water fish prefer low pH anyways, they go hand in hand.

I keep my Amazon tank at kH/GH 3 and pH is around 6.2. The discus and tetras are actually happy down to a pH of 5.0.
Cool I have Driftwood in the tank [Old] & the tannins are probably minamal. I ordered Black water as i can control the dose. I will try this when i get it in the mail.. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You want to keep the pH in the 6.5 to 6.8 range where it is now, I assume? What type of fish are you keeping, if I may ask? How soft do you want the water to be?

I'm not a fan of adding things to the water, myself. You could filter your water through peat, that will lower the hardness.

The best way, though, and the way which will keep your water hardness the most stable, will be mixing reverse osmosis water with your tap water to get the hardness you want.

Again, any time you change the hardness, keep in mind the pH can change as well since minerals in the water can act as buffers to the pH value.
I have Wild True Altum, Discus, German Rams, Aposto & a school of Harq. Rosbors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts