Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a question I am needing help on. I have a 200 Gallon Fresh Water tank and curious how most people with a tank that bid do water changes. I have the large Python Siphon with the faucet pump. Do I need to fill water in buckets with the dechlorine additive, or can I just fill the tank straight from the faucet and then add the dechlorine additive to the tank?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello gunreaper,
I am NOT an expert by any means, and the only reason I am offering an answer here is that I asked the exact same question just a week or so ago. What I was told to do was after taking out water, add dechlorinator to the tank and fill straight from the tap. Just be sure to add enough dechlorinator to treat the entire capacity of the tank, not just the volume of water you are replacing.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So add enough aquaSafe or Stresscoat to the water to treat the hole tank? Can you add too much additives over time or not?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, add enough to treat the whole tank. As for overdosing, I'll leave that question to the other more knowledgeable people here. I'm sure they'll be here with an answer shortly. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good question. I have a 55 gallon and Python siphon and aging water for a 15-20% water change would mean at least 2- 5 gallon buckets lying around every week. I don't know about you but I don't have the room for that. It also can get very messy.

Anyone else have there $.02?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Media, I think GC and I want to use the Python to fill the tank and bypass the buckets. We just need to adjust the incoming temp at the faucet and use aquasafe or the like to the whole tank to take care of the chlorine. Possible?

Not sure what to do about the pH adjustment though.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
ph shouldn't be a problem while doing WC unless that is what your trying to fix..... I use NOTHING but am-quel to do water changes. once, i swiched to stress coat because i ran out of am-quel for my female betta, Saphire, and she was dead the day after.

on my 120 gallon, (ps, you cant overdose am-quel unless you try) I treat the amount i'm adding, fill 'er up, then treat the amount again. the fish are fine!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Right... its a delimma. I dont like the Python because of that. How much does the pH differ from the tap to the tank?
I just measured the pH right from the tap, looks to be about 7.6. Tank is at about 7.2. Not too bad, I guess depending on what fish I put in there. We just moved to our house and this is the first place I have lived where the water is on the alkaline side.

So, what your saying is to use the python for water removal/vacuuming. Fill buckets at close to tank temp (2- 5 gallon buckets would give me about %20 WC), treat water and slowly dump. What's the best way of getting water from a 5 gallon bucket on the floor into the tank? Don't want to lift due to spillage and occassional back problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ph shouldn't be a problem while doing WC unless that is what your trying to fix..... I use NOTHING but am-quel to do water changes. once, i swiched to stress coat because i ran out of am-quel for my female betta, Saphire, and she was dead the day after.

on my 120 gallon, (ps, you cant overdose am-quel unless you try) I treat the amount i'm adding, fill 'er up, then treat the amount again. the fish are fine!
So you use buckets? 24 gallons is a lot if doing a 20% WC!

Why 2 doses?

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi, I have two 32 gallon trash cans for water storage, they are the soft rubber, I run a 12 inch air stone for circulation, I use amquel, or prime for my water, 24 hours is sufficient.
I use to use 5 gallon buckets, they are heavy, and tend to spill even though you are carefull, but after 10 to 25 tanks of lifting I decided to find something easier. I have 4 pumps , I use only one from an rv dealership for warranty, the pumps for the water supply are 12 volt, so you need an old battery, some wire, with clips for clipping to the battery, some hose (see through) and a turn off in plastic, all are available at home depot , or lowes , for about 20 dollars or less, except for the battery, have you ever changed out your old battery in your car and the old one just could not keep up any more , well what is left is usually enough to run this pump for 4 months of water changes, and when it runs out you can get it charged at auto zone , tell them to let it charge no matter what, make sure it has water in it.
Or go get a submersable pump you plug in and some see through hose to fill the tank for the water changes.
saves a bunch of time and back aches.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Agree with Tim, Guiness. I use the Rio brand submersible pump, vinyl tubing, and a U return with diffuser. When I do a waterchange, I siphon tank water down into a trash can on a furniture dolly. I then pump the new clean water in from where I make my water, I use soft vinyl tubing and the plastic U return to hook it to the frame and point the spray where I want it. If I were you I would not risk the city water without an intermediate step and precautions. Even if for years you have no problem doing it that way, if the city decides to flush the system and you don't get a notice beforehand to warn you, it might be bad news for the lifeforms in your tank.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
So you use buckets? 24 gallons is a lot if doing a 20% WC!

Why 2 doses?
you should just drain the water into a trash can or directly outside.....

i do two doses just to be sure the treatment is totally mixed

·
Mean old dude
12 Posts
water changes are an interesting subject.every has their own way of doing them to suit their own particular situation.i have a large python but i have never used the venturi.just a huge waste of money.i just use the python with a garden hose that goes to the floor drain.or when i lived upstairs i would send the hose out the window to the ground.below that window was the greenest grass in the neighborhood.
right now all of my tanks are in the basement on racks.i just go down the line and syphon off 30-50% of each tank;or completely drain the ones that i want to reset.
when i am ready to fill i have another hose with a valve setup that i built.it just hangs on the side of the tank.as the tank is filling i add the Chlor-Gone for the approximate amount of water i am replacing.
lets say you are doing a 20% waterchange on a 100 gallon tank.20 gallons out...20 gallons in.you should add only enough dechlorinator for 20 or 30 gallons.actually i never use it if i am doing less that a 40% change.it is possible to overtreat a tank;but you would have to put in a lot.like 5 or 6 times the amount needed for tank capacity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have good water pressure the faucet pump is very effective at draining the tank and disposing of the waste. A 20 to 30 percent water change is not unherd of on a monthly basis, I have some freshwater systems that get that twice per week. Dose the whole tanks volume use Prime for the conditioning properties plus it will detoxify any nitrates/nitrites that may be present. That is one that you can not over dose with. The problem with Stress Coat or any conditioners with Aloe in them is that you will get a false ammonia reading after dosing the tank. Unless u are keeping acidic fish tap is just fine dose the tank- fill the tank with as close of temp as you can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts