Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 55 gallon which is well planted and has a few pieces of wood in it.
Would like to add 2 or 3 angels as my final additions to the tank.

Current stock-

7 neons
4 glow light tetra
6 Serpae etetras
3 Bolivian rams
1 pleco
1 algea eater
and 1 Apistogramma macmasteri

What are my options?

Thanks

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
wait a seccond.......

I have personally kept angels and neons in the same tank. They do fine with eachother AS LONG AS YOU feed them A LOT. Remember, the angels will only go after the neons once the angels are full grown, and that might take some 6-9 months. Just remember to feed them well, and mix up their diet. I have cardinals and angels in my 55g and they get along just fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
angels are infamous for killing and at times, even eating, small tetras (like neons).
by no means am i saying "they cant possibly be kept together". trust me... i am INFAMOUS for breaking the "rules" of fish keeping. (and successfully).
just as a general suggestion, the should not be kept together as it could prove fatal for the neons.

is it possible to keep them together? absolutely. however it will require a bit of extra work on your part, and there are no guarantees it will be successful every time. but if you are willing to put in the extra effort, anything is possible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then that clears that up.

Im going to give it a shot!
Ive got another tank i can move the neons into if anything goes wrong.

2 or 3 angels?
Any input on that?

Thanks

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
anything is possible in fishkeeping...just be sure that you feed the angels alot

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before i make the move, maybe i should make a thread about this.
But do any of you know of any other "center piece" fish that will get along well with what i already have?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
With what you have in the tank I would go 2 angels. You will have to watch the serpre tetras as they can be a little nippy, but looks like you have a large enough school of them. My main concern is what kind of pleco and algae eater you have in the tank. Plecos have a high bioload . Not sure about your algae eater, if its an oto. you need more. If its an SAE, CAE you could have problems there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SAE algea eater, and the pleco is just a common pleco from Wal-mart.

Not a fan of the Pleco, but what problems do i have with keeping a SAE?

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Common plecos get huge and u dont have a large enough aquarium for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know they get huge. Ive owned aquariums for about 6 years now.
In the past when they would get to be a decent size i would take them to the LFS and trade them for a much smaller one.

Pleco not really needed?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh really, i did not know that.
So what are some other options to keep down any light algae growth?
Im running 2 48" 40w fluorescent bulbs right now

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about the Algae that likes to grow on my live plant leaves and the little that likes to grow on all my drift and Malaysian wood

1 - 20 of 22 Posts