Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had 3 baby mollies that survived and they are in their own separate 5 gallon tank. I have my other 4 mollies and 1 algea eater in a 5 gallon tank and when the babies get big enough I want to buy a new 12 gallon tank and move them all into it.

So.....my question is how do I setup the new aquarium and move the fish without killing them. If I set it up and treat the water and have it run through the tank for 24 hours can I then move the fish into it? I know there's that good bacteria that the tank has to have so I'm worried about that in the new tank. I use aqua safe, stress zyme and stress coat.

I've never moved fish, and I really don't want to kill any of them in the process.

Any advice/help/comments? Thanks!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well the main question is are you planning on useing the same type of substrate in the new tank if so.Then just put your fish into something safe.Then drain your tanks into clean buckets.Transfer as much of the substrate as possible to the new tank.I take it you have filtration on the smaller tanks?If so then use those filters on the new tank.Or put the old filter floss or media into the new filter and then add the old water to the new tank.Then the fish.Buy a bottle of seachem prime it works great and you should have no problems
Seachem. Prime
Also buy yourself a good fluid test kit and keep an eye on the water parameters!

·
Registered
21 Posts
my guppies had babies, and I got a 2 gallon for them. I used the water from my 10 gallon to fill it. The majority of the gravel was from the 10 gallon also. I put a fake plant from the 10 gallon into the 2 gallon also. I let it cycle for only two days and put the few fry into the tank.

They're still alive, none have died. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
When I upgraded from a 30 to a 55 i did it this way.

First give your fish a good meal. LOL

1) Took old gravel out and added it to the new tank.
2) put rocks/plants in new tank.
3) put backgrond on
4) move old filter over
5) Move air pumpsover
6) put about 50% of the old watter in
7) Put about 25% or fill about 3/4 with fresh watter and treat.
8) put heater on. and start to match up temps [old to new]
9) put fish in
10) Top off the acquarium.
12) Next two days do 25% watter changes. [ my tank was cloudy]

13) after 1 week and 2-3 small watter changed changed media/filters with new.

Only had 1 death which was my PLECO cause the new tank had no alagea. Give your pleco some wafers & lettuce for a few weeks.

I did not take my fish out of the old tank and put them in a bucket. I figured it would be more stressfull to catch them and move them twice then it would be to leave them in the old tank and move them once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts