Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Starting a new 10 gallon Sakura shrimp and 1 male betta
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

As I am going through this journey I have seen a lot of (mis) information regarding fishless cycle of a tank. Hoping to get some clarification.

I read that someone placed 3 shrimp in a Ziploc, perforated the bag and let it dangle in the tank until the cycle began.

This sounds really easy, and preferable to adding liquid ammonia, which I have worked with outside of aquarium stuff, and boy that stuff stinks. And I hadn't seen it locally unless it was jammed with surfactants. I got 5 lbs of frozen shrimp.

I'm looking for experience with the shrimp or flake food method.

And once the tank is cycled, and full of plants, can I just let it run for a few months to let the plants grow before I add live shrimp? If so, how do I keep the tank cycled, or will it be cycling itself once I actually get it to go?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers :)
-SV

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
8,085 Posts
Fish food or raw shrimp can start a cycle but it would take a lot of fish food and will be messy, Raw shrimp has been done but you have to keep ammonia levels up and the shrimp will have to go bad before it starts causing ammonia. Plus it really doesn't help to put in a baggie with holes in it., Just as well put inti a nylon hose or mesh bag.. It will take 4 to 6 weeks to cycle a tank, do you want to put up with the smell of rotting shrimp? If you don't want to cycle a tank the right way I would suggest filling the tank with lots of fast growing plants and do a silent cycle but you will need to add your shrimp sooner to keep the cycle going.

·
Registered
Starting a new 10 gallon Sakura shrimp and 1 male betta
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhhhh that's a great point about smelling the rotting shrimp. Lol so much for me thinking about every angle!

I definitely don't know enough and I am grateful for your input so far Susankat

So, are you suggesting I heavily plant my tank and just let it run for a few weeks and then test for ammonia/, nitrates ? I once read that term, "silent cycle" I'm going to read up on that and await your reply. And thanks again 😌

1 - 4 of 4 Posts