Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend went on vaca. and brought me bck some pretty nice looking rocks from a sandy beach.

if i rinse these undeer water forawhile, they can be added to my tank, right?

also,i have 3 oscars, andi was wonderiing hoiw toprevent catching HITH desease?

they'rein a 150gal, fed live feeders on occasion, med. pellets mostly.
i TRY to keepmy water right, and do water chnges probobly 2 to 2 1/2 weeks(20-40% water)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
As with anything that is in the wild you should use cation when addin they to a tank. So first off put a drop of viniger on the rocks each, if it fuzzies than you can't add them, they will mess up your PH. second you should boil the rocks, this will kill any small little nasties that you can see and any of them you can't see, they are there. After that let them cool and add them

As far as your WC's you need to do that every week 20%, oscar are a pretty dirty fish and have a very large Bio-load. Your fish will be happier and have briter color. Just because of the WQ upgrade

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Does the mineral make-up of the rock make a difference? I tried to use some local rock once after cleaning and sterilizing. It turned out to have a high iron content, so I had to take it out. Does it also make a difference what conditions the water quality and environment from the fishes native habitat in determining what type of rock is safe for them?
fishfinder

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Somethings will just kill fish... if you ever been to an strip mine lake (thats the hole they left behind that now fill with water) one that has alot of iron in you will find no fish. So yes the make of a stone does and will effect the WQ. In general fish will come accustome to there enviroment as long as it not toxic, and then sometime if the if the toxic build slowlly they can even survive ther for awhile, but there lives will be shorten. Its best to provide you animals with the best WQ you can. You wouldn't wnt to use sandstone, heavy Iron based rocks, shells they all will effect the WQ.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Somethings will just kill fish... if you ever been to an strip mine lake (thats the hole they left behind that now fill with water) one that has alot of iron in you will find no fish. So yes the make of a stone does and will effect the WQ. In general fish will come accustome to there enviroment as long as it not toxic, and then sometime if the if the toxic build slowlly they can even survive ther for awhile, but there lives will be shorten. Its best to provide you animals with the best WQ you can. You wouldn't wnt to use sandstone, heavy Iron based rocks, shells they all will effect the WQ.
sadly i dont know how to determine the rock 'species' (lol)

good news is, they came from beach, so ide assume they are not toxic, as fish probobly swam w/ them a whole bunch in the previous 2000years while it was being formed.

i boiled them, and set 'em up in my tank a while go, and so far, aside from loosing ALL of my crabs to high nitrate/ite(?) everything seems fine.

its kinda funny you posted somthing, now, though, as i was about to add another rather large rock that i now decided its best not to add.

is there any tests avail. to see if the rocks a-ok or not? i did the vinegar test, and it didnt fizz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts