Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you think I would have any problems using pieces of Lava Rock to try to root ferns and anubias in the tank? I dont have extra driftwood to use. Thanks for all your help in advanced.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the red ones, typically seen in stores. It's unlucky to take anything off the Hawaiian Islands....learned that when I went to University of Hawaii.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the grey lava rock is not the native Hawaiian Lava Rock. There are other locations in the world that lava rock is available. Ive seen the type they are talking about. I got a rather large piece for free and I had someone at work cut it up. i thought if green algae likes the lava rock. Why wouldn't java ferns.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Anubis attaches well to tuffa, lava, and all sorts of other rocks. Before i moved, i had some very dramatic pieces attached to Texas holey rock. they were like submerged bonsai trees. with ferns, Ive only used tufa, but it worked fine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but wouldn't I have a problem with tufa rock in a community tank that Im trying to keep below 7 ph? I know I have seen them in Cichlid tanks with immaculate java fern growths.

·
Registered
324 Posts
just try it with another inert rock. even an old piece of slate should work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts