Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most beginners, aquariums have become like potato chips - couldn't be satsfied with just one - but I now nderstand the virtues of one large tank versus many small in terms of the amount of work/maintenance, and I am going to start a 55 gallon tank and merge some of my exiasting tank populations. My question is, can I use the existing water in my 29 gallon to the new water of the 55 gallon and transfer the existing residents of the 29gallon with it to the new tank for the first four weeks? Then add the other fish once the 55g tank stabilizes in terms of ammonia/nitrogen? I'd be grateful for the feedback!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can add everything from the 29 gallon... gravel filter water any decorations you have the all will seed the cycling process. I not going to say that you will not have to use caution and check daily that the Nitrate levels don't get to high. but you will have an established bio colony that can support the fish you have already. Just give it sometime to adjust and to go thur a mini cycle befroe adding any new fish. a few at a time. If you bought a different filter, you can take the white filter floss and cut it into strip and put it on the new filter flower floss to seed that.

You tank will go thur some degree of a cycling process, so if you have any weak fish or sensetive fish you may want to move them to an established tank just as a caution.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the advice - in the 29 I currently have 3 Red Rainbow Iridians, 4 Giant Golden Danios, 2 Golden Dojo Loaches, an Eclipse Catfish, and a Blue "lobster" (Florida Crayfish). The Danios are a recent addition to this tank, I recently swapped out 3 Golden Panchax Killifish and 2 Dwarf Gouramis for the Danios in anticipation of the transfer to the 55 Gallon, rather than cycle the former residents in the new 55. Hope this all makes sense - am I doing okay??? :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
2 make a tank cycle super quick use gravel from the established tank. idk why my dad would do it so quick but at about 12 hours after putting in some established gravel 4 the new tank he added an oscar, a red gourami, 2 iridescent sharks, and a weather loach. we now have added 2 common goldfish, 1 rosy barb, 4 giant danios, 1 orange lazor cory, 1 schwortz(blackfin) cory, and 1 baby silver arowana. the only death so far was that of a dwarf gourami, who got stuck behind a corner filter and suffocated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts