Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beginner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2 goldfish that got sick. At first I thought there were no external signs, and I'm still not totally sure that these are signs, but I would love some input/insight.

Both fish a ryukin, and a shubunkin are normally housed in a 55 gallon tank that was cycled back in June. They share the tank with 4 Golden white cloud minnows, 2 golden dojo loaches, and a handful of bladder snails. Water gets changed 1/week with a gravel vac. Readings Amonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates range 20-30ish, Ph 7.6-7.8. I did not have a heater, and we did have a few cold night preceding the illness.

My ryukin started spending intermittent, increasing time in the bottom corner of the aquarium. During this time the shubunkin seemed to get a little more nervous, startling very easy, responding by darting around, but otherwise seemed normal. This probably went on for about a week, and then the ryukin was spending so much time in the bottom corner, I moved him to a QT. Where he was treated with increased heat, and aquarium salt 1tsp/gallon. The next day the shubunkin started sitting in the bottom corner, so I moved him into the QT with the ryukin. They both initially got worse in the QT., losing their color, and becoming very unresponsive, sitting on the bottom of the tank. The ryukin rallied after about a day, and a half. The shubunkin took about 3-4 days of struggling, but then also improved a little bit. His color is still faded, and he still has the wiered looking scales (see pics). I did the salt treatment for about a week, and now I am treating them for ich, with rid-ich.. They are both tolerating it well.

I am not convinced that they have ich, and am not even sure if they are still sick. I don't want to add them back to their home if they are. They still have the weird marks, and I don't know if those are signs of illness, or just how they are. , so I am looking for any kind of insight as to what you think could be wrong with them. Also, any ideas on protecting the fish that are left in the tank. I did a 75% water change, with a short aquarium salt bath in the tank initially with 1tsp/gallon, and then diluted it when I added water back to the tank. I also added a heater, and increased the heat slightly. They all tolerated it well, and seemed to be hanging in there, but is there anything else I should do to to prevent them from getting sick too.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
QT (in this case it is really a hospital tank) is dangerous if not done VERY well. In most cases it is better to keep them in the display tank, the other fish are already exposed anyways. Quarantine/hospital crams them in to a smaller tank, usually the tank is uncycled, the parameters are off, they just get stressed which makes any issues they have even worse.

If there is no visible ich there is no reason to start using chemical meds, especially with ich. Even if there is ich it will usually go away on its own once you remove the stressor.

How cool did the water get? That alone could slow them down.

I don't see anything wrong in any of the pics, what exactly are you referring to?

·
Beginner
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is in reply to "how is fish doing now". I have difficulty finding, following, and responding to threads, so if this doesnt follow in line, and makes no sense, I apologize.

Anyway I had two sick, or so I thought goldfish a ryukin, and a shubunkin. This turned out to be likely caused by water temperature fluctuations. I thought because all the fish in the tank are cold water fish it was okay if the tank cooled down. Not the case, apparently they need stability/consistency the most. I had moved the goldfish to a hospital tank, which stressed them out. Then on the advise of another member I put them back in the main tank. The shubunkin had a few weird issues after for a little while, but seems to have improved since then. Both of them are doing great.

I bought a heater, and have it set at 70, which is actually the high end for some of the fish in that tank, but...my home typically stays in that range, and sometimes gets warmer so it seemed like the safest setting for consistency.

Thanks for asking about the fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts