Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to better understand readings..

TDS: ~450ppm
Calcium: ~200ppm

Calcium would be a dissolved solid, so 200ppm of my 450ppm TDS is Calcium right?

And nitrates of 5ppm would also be part of the total 450ppm TDS?

Just trying to understand TDS better and figure out what all is in there lol.
Also also, are there any other minerals I should be tracking for plant growth?

Lots of questions I know 馃槄馃

Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
It also matters when you are using ro/di water for soft water critters and fish. Like with some of my shrimp my ph is 5.9 to 6.0 so I have to use salty shrimp to bring up tds to at least 100.
TDS total dissolved solids in water. is minerals that is in water, not just calcium.
quote (Very high TDS in your water pose a danger to your fish/faunas wherein the very high TDS water wants to equalize to the low TDS water inside the fish. The water will attempt to pass through the fish until the levels equalize.) quote
quote (The fishes need a stable environment which have the same level of TDS and PH as the original habit in aquariums or tanks. Different fishes require water with different TDS. 400PPM~450PPM TDS in the water are recommended for most freshwater fish living.)quote

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was at 700ppm TDS originally and have been doing water changes to reduce it gradually..

I was asking if calcium is counted in TDS because there are conflicting care guides for the nerite snail.

One guide says TDS should be between 100-400ppm for optimal living conditions, then another guide says that calcium should be 350-400ppm. That would put TDS into 600+ range though because you need other minerals besides calcium lol

Vodka Doser
TDS when using RO should read 0, calcium included should be 0. RO is also used for discus Tanks. People watching TDS are adding whats necessary to the water for the species they are keeping. Once your reading is above 2 on TDS its time to change the membrane out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't use RO, I use treated tap water and I dose calcium.

The treated tap water is ~170ppm TDS before dosing calcium

Not sure what membrane you're saying needs to be changed

Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
The membrane he is talking about is in the ro/di unit. You really don't need to dose calcium, just use your treated tap water. Should be enough calcium in it. Your just complicating things for the tank. Feed calcium rich foods like fresh veggies is all you need to do.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There was like no calcium though, <20ppm. Couldn't even properly test for it because one drop turned the end point color. That's why I was using the wonder shells. The snails never went to munch on the wonder shells either so it just dissolved into the water which also works

Vodka Doser
Dissolved solids" refer to any minerals, salts, metals, cations or anions dissolved in water. Total dissolved solids (TDS) comprise inorganic salts, principally calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates and some small amounts of organic matter that are dissolved in water.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dissolved solids" refer to any minerals, salts, metals, cations or anions dissolved in water. Total dissolved solids (TDS) comprise inorganic salts, principally calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates and some small amounts of organic matter that are dissolved in water.
O thanks! Yeah I think I got confused because I was reading two different "guides" for optimal nerite conditions and they were conflicting.

Guide 1: 100-200ppmTDS (max 400ppm)
Guide 2: 400ppm+ calcium

So I was confused, wondering how I could get 400ppm calcium but only have 100-200ppm TDS lol

Everyone's happy in the tank so I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing keeping the numbers stable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts