Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I put an African butterfly fish in my 14g biocube today... He's already eating crickets!! Anyways online I've seen minimum tank sizes from 10g up to 25 so I was wondering if my 14 gallon biocube would be a decent permanent home... Might be a little tight but probably won't affect his health right??? I got a few neons, ghost shrimp, Otto cat, and mystery snails in there... But I keep up on nitrates religously.. Also there's a lot of plants!!

Also will moss grow on my driftwood eventually??? Or do I need to buy some. Keep in mind I got well over 3 watts a gallon...

Thank you so much in advanced for your help!!!

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
A cube will be a little tight for him, I would also keep an eye on him with the tetras. If they go up to the top to feed they will most likely end up being lunch.
Do you have a full cover over the tank, because they tend to fly out of the tank. I know when I kept them I would find them 6 ft away from the tank till I put a full piece of glass on top.

As for the moss, if you want some on the driftwood you will need to buy some and tie it to the wood.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
^ x2 above

I would definately say it will be a tight fit for him. I housed mine in 20long. And I'm sure you've already noticed this...but them jokers are lightning fast! Drop some blood worms in...they're gone as soon as they hit the top. And this coming from the other side of the tank too! ;o)

I'd be worried about the neons and ghosties. Anything that strays up their area won't be good.

But awesome fish none the less.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so my mystery snails had babies a while back... Every once in a while one will get air in it's shell and be floating... I'm scared if he eats a pea or dime sized snail he will die........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I'd like to replace my neons with another schooling middle level fish... Something silver maybe. I don't like the blue color of the tetras it doesn't match my tank... What can I get that won't nip at my butterfly, and how many??? Thanks

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Good question on the floating snail. I didn't have snails when I had my guy. Not sure how he would act with them. My guess would be if he did take one in, he would spit it back out. Mind you....that is just a guess.

As for the neon replacement, not knowing your tank and such but if you're looking for a good mid-level schooling fish, how about some Harley's (Harlequin Rasboras)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i personally wouldnt put anymore fish in there. go ahead and get rid of the neons if you dont like them. that will give the butterfly more space. i think if he were alone, he would be fine in there for a while, though most likely not permanently. considering you like to have him in a community tank, get a 30 gal, and give him at least 15 gallons all to his own. just my suggestion.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha I just bought a 250 dollar biocube and the 120 dollar stand for it... No way I'm getting another tank... And most sites said 10g minimum

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes, but that is just for him. also, minimums are generally what is good for a fish to survive, not necessarily thrive. I personally would want my fish to grow to its maximum size and be as colourful as possible, which overcrowding will keep it from doing. Considering that the other fish require a gallon per inch as well, he isnt getting all the space he needs. im sure the biocube will be fine for him for a while, along as he is alone with a few of those snails, cause they dont require any gallonage per inch. but yeah, the biocubes are a huge investment, i totally understand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts