Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Red Sliders can get much larger than a typical aquarium can house. You may eventually need an outdoor pen for them, depending on where you live, of course.
Get the largest tank you can afford if you need to keep it in an aquarium for the time being. They grow fairly fast when healthy and will outgrow a typical aquarium in a couple years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont want to cause physical harm to the turtle or make him go crazy but i have nowhere to put a bigger tank. I think ill get a 75 gallon tank and just raise a turtle untill he outgrows the tank. What types of filters will i need? any recomendations for good stores ?

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
red-ear sliders are illeagal now here in florida because they are crossbreeding with the native yellowbelly sliders, wheras the red ea is an exotic. chicken turtles are the same. a couple of years ago, I faound a native redbelly slider on the sidewalk at my library! we think a heron snatched him up from the local lake and droppped him. he hasn't grown a bit in his ten gallon tank but is perfectly happy. when I put him in this tank, I was sure he'd outgrow it.....

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
not always.... i just got lucky, because I rarely have to do water changes (water is always clear, always tests ok)..... you should get big tank for him, i doubt you can replicate my luckyness! (but you can always try)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts