Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm Matt and new to the forum. I have just recently gotten into aquariums and I have 2 in my home in West Carrollton, Ohio. 1 is a "turtle" aquarium that consists of a 55 gallon aquarium with 1 red ear slider, a 6 inch pleco, an electric blue lobster, a few comets, and a spotted catfish. The aquarium is about half full with a small rock castle cave that has an airstone and L.E.D. light inside, a treasure chest ornament, a large basking stone for the turtle, and a few other air stones. The filter is a Fluval 3o Gal external, It is quite a nice looking aquarium so far. The other aquarium is a small 5 gallon with 6 comets, a couple airstones, and a small plant/stone ornament. Any suggestions will be apreciated! So far things are going fairly well. The only problems I've had are that one spotted catfish died while it was in a bowl during cleaning of the turtle aquarium, and one pleco died. It was a smaller pleco and it looked like it had some scratches on it (possibly from the lobster??) Let me know what you guys think!*#3

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome aboard! I am sure one of the freshwater gurus will chime in soon!*w2*w2*w2*w2

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water was dechlorinated. The bowl was an old tupperware bowl we usually use to keep left overs in. It was clean and rinsed before the fish were put in. I also put the plants from the aquarium in the bowl with the fish. There was some hornwort and another plant that I can't remember. The two catfish were the only ones affected. The cleaning took about an hour and a half. In the bowl were 5 comets, the blue lobster, the 2 catfish, and the plants.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I want to welcome you and say thanks for joining us.

Rose
:)

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I noticed my electric blue has been hiding alot more than usual recently. So I decided to investigate and make sure "she" (interesting how I found out it's a "she") was ok. Well, she's ok alright! And she's about to be a mommy! She's carrying what looks to be about 60 or so eggs. Now here is where my question is. I only have 1 lobster. Is it possible she could have mated at the pet store and the eggs come out almost 2 months later? The girl at the pet store did tell me that the one I got had to be seperated from another one because they were always "fighting" lol.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 To our humble hang out. Glad you decided to join us, and bring stories and pictures of your hobby with you. Hope you enjoy the Forum.

Note: I should have known Doc would find my Most recent addition to our smiley collection, he is always lurking around in my hiding places LOL *lurk

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
It is possible that your lobster mated at the store before you got her. It would be geat if they hatched, but most of the babies would probably get eaten in that tank. Many species of lobsters are capable of storing sperm for months to years, depending on if/when they molt.
It's also possible that the lobster is carrying unfertilized eggs. If this is the case, she may wind up eating them herself. You'll know soon, since unfertilized eggs usually change color (to an orangy color) and fall off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I set up another aquarium for the lobster. I'll keep her in there and watch for the eggs to hatch (or fall off) I'm hoping for little baby lobsters :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok well, The little lobsters hatched!!! (I'll try to post some pics soon as they are a bit difficult to get photos of) I took mama out of the "lobster" aquarium and put her back in the turtle aquarium (So she won't eat her babies) I've also added to my aquariums. So here are the stats as of now. ~Turtle aquarium~ 1 Red eared slider, 1 midland painted turtle, 1 Common Pleco, 1 Pictus Catfish, 3 Bala Sharks, 4 comets, 2 Gouramis, 1 Electric blue lobster. ~Baby lobster aquarium~ 40+ baby blue lobsters, 2 Cory Catfish, 1 Common Pleco. ~Bedroom Aquarium~ 1 blue African Cichlid, 1 Yellow African Cichlid, 1 Jack Dempsey Cichlid, 1 Comet, 1 Common Pleco. We currently have 3 running aquariums and all are doing well so far :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys, I posted the pictures of the baby lobsters! So far they are doing really well and growing FAST!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts