Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon system. I bought some liverock a while back that had a slug looking thing in it. after a few months my tank has become overun with these little white snail/slug things ranging in size. There must be about 40 on the front of the tank alone. They eat all the algea and leave none left for my crabs. How do I get rid of them?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think they might be copepods, caused by too much live rock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are white underneath and kind of brown and tan on top with 2 antennas and a little sucker mouth. copepods?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
o wait no-sea cucumbers maybe? Or sea slugs?

·
Registered
109 Posts
aoberdier, any chance you can post some pictures, if you have a camera with a macro lens you should be able to get a photo. Copepods, amphipods, mysid shrimp, most isopods, etc. are great for your tank and you want them to eat algae and detritus. Your crabs can scavenge other things as well as food you put in the tank at feeding time.

I'm going to post a picture of each of these creatures in my gallery, they should be there in a few minutes to help you identify them.

marlene

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like stomatella varia to me. Really those guys are great and you should be thankful, just take your crabs back to the lfs. Stomies are much better for your tank. If they really drive you crazy, I'm sure you could find some reefers locally that would like to have some.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Same thing I was thinking last night when I first saw this thread. I was on the net for about 3 hours checking all kinds of sites out trying to see if there was something else that would fit the description better. I was kinda hoping for a decent pic before I risked opening my mouth and inserting my foot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts