Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am new to keeping fish that are predatory. I am getting a longnose gar in a few days and I wanted to know if there are any last miniute tips that you can give me. My tank is cycled and currently has 7 - 10 minnows in it. I know you have to feed gars at least 3 times a day. Also the tempature should be around 75 farrenheight or around 23 degrees celcious ( I know I spelled it wrong). Also I know that they get really really big.

-Thanks

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
This is a timely thread, my Grandson just got a gar, and its already taking earthworms dangled from his fingers. He has a pike cichlid, and a malaysian suncat, and a small green sunfish in with it...at least for now. I mix and match so many fish, Its always wait and see. I just had to move a Pumpkinseed out of a tank with various darters and another species of small sunfish because he was getting wayyy to aggressive. I guess the moral of this story would be watch your fish closely for signs of trouble and have lots of tanks lol

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
mmm gar this should be interesting

we used to bow fish for gar down around willis off lake texoma on the oklahoma side my pastor brought one home that weighed about 140 lbs and was about 7 foot in length he had it stuffed and it was put on the back wall of the church hahhahaha

i loved growin up well thats kinda half true hahaha im still growing up i have a child inside ahhahahaahhah 30 yo that feels 15 inside ahahhahaah

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should arrive somewhere around 8 to 11 inches so it will grow kinda slower than the first 4 to 7 inches. I will post pictures when I get it in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
first off, welcome to the site!

and thanks so much for joining, your the first person that i asked to join at summer rec that actually did join.

so, what i have to say about the gar is...
don't underestimate the growth rate of a predatory fish-they will grow faster than expected!!!! like i told u at summer rec, my dad plans to upgrade his 125gal by Christmas and hopefully u can have it if he doesn't use as a sump!

Reactions: garfreak526
1 - 8 of 8 Posts