Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the maximum time per day that i can have my day lights on in my tank. i have a 24 gallon nanocube delux with the stock lights. in the tank are as follows:2 percula clowns
1 lawn mower blenny
1 leather colral
3 pulsing xenia
1 green zoanthids.

the reason for the question is because of the hours that i work. when i get home all i get to look at is my moon lit tank. i turn lights on at 8 am as not to startle everything by turning the lights on while dark out. any feed back would be appreciated.

thanks matt

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
between 8-12 hours. try to go by season.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mattellison,

Like Petlover516 said above, give them between 8 & 12 hours of light. Provided you don't have your aquarium close to a window that receives plenty of outside daylight, your fish can start their official morning a little later in the day, let's say around 10:00 am. Program your light timer to turn you lights on at 10:00 am, then have them turn off at 10:00 pm.

In this manner they'll still get their light requirements, plus you get to come home from work and still have a couple of hours of enjoyment with the lights on. Of course you can adjust this scenario to fit your personal schedule.

The point I am trying to make, is you can start their day later, to fit your day. This won't have a negative impact on the fish at all. .

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes 8-12 hours is the generally accepted consensus in the reefing community. You can usually go as little as 6 or as much as 14-16 hours although I dont recommend it.

ocreef makes a good point about putting the lights on a timer and setting the light schedule up so they are on for a while when you get home from work so that you can better enjoy all that your tank has to offer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts