Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Master of Algae (THE MOA)
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as anyone who has ever bred discus will tell you, they benefit greatly from frequent water changes. its pretty much a known fact at this point that if you want to grow discus as fast as possible and get them to their biggest show quality size, you HAVE to change their water often. its not a matter of keeping the water clean, which could be done with heavy filtration and lots of healthy growing plants, it has a lot to do with the hormones that build up in the water, proteins that are released by fish that stunt their growth if they stay in high concentrations.

i have heard of plenty of people who have kept discus successfully in tanks that dont get frequent water changes, but instead have lots of plants. some are successful at breeding them, but what i have never seen is a discus kept in such a tank that reaches the same size as the discus being shown off by people who do massive water changes, or have them on a constant flow system.

this is where my thinking as of late comes into play...
for the last few years, i have been looking into the way ultraviolet light effects water. one thing i noticed is that when i had a UV sterilizer on my tank, my rainbow fish would get a little larger than they did when i didnt have one on the tank. fish that hadnt grown any in the last several months got a little bigger. i think this is because of how destructive UVC is. it got me thinking that if i can squeeze a LOT of UVC into a tank, i may be able to damage the hormones that stunt the fishes growth so that they are, in effect, neutralized.

now, UVC is dangerous to living things. that means that i wouldnt be able to just shove a whole bunch of germicidal bulbs over a tank and call it a day. there is another possibility though... i could set up a sump and put a large, powerful UVC bulb over it. this should maximize the UVC exposure to the water. it would stay in contact with the UVC for longer than it does in a UV sterilizer, even if the overall flow is much higher.

i have yet to get any discus, but i do intend to try this, whether it be with discus or another species, maybe a rainbow.

any thoughts?

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Ithink hormones play a larger part in water chemistry than many think or believe.I know from experience with my swordtails that once the first male developes among my fry the change that seemingly 1/2(just a BS %) of the other fry should make is greatly delayed.Even with massive, steady water changes sometimes very few fry will develope into males until I physically remove the "dominant " male.I would be interested if your idea helps with this.I use UV in my DTs but not in my fry tanks but may try in one now.I will say I don't use high powered UV or even correctly sized,I just use the green machine 24/7 and figure it is better than nothing even in "smaller "doses.It does seem to make sense that only the strongest survive and although in the wild water can dilute these hormones much better ,but the strongest fish thrive and breed first eitherway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts